turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First kill with M2 20

Started by drenalinld, May 02, 2014, 06:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

I spent just over 4 hours in a Wal Mart Turkey Thug chair and finally killed this gobbler at 10 am. He responded well to calls from Hooks Sassy Gal 3, Sneed Hot Hen with hand carved oak striker from my buddy Rickey and a stabilized spalted Maple trumpet from Robert Glover.

He gobbled at first light about 300 yards from the truck and two more sounded off about 100 yards from him. The two gobbled regularly making it easy to course a quick route ti them. When he wiuld gobble, it was obvious he was dominant. Before 6 am I was set up less than 100 yards from him at 10 o'clock and at least as close to the other two at 2 o'clock. The hit the ground early with the dominant tom having a few hens and a couple jakes that would yelp each time he gobbled. The other two appeared to be alone. I have never spent so much time down the barrel in the direction of drumming thinking I would kill one any second. Four hours of drumming will fry the nerves. The two lesser toms would approach from the right drumming inside gun range but I could only see 15 yards in their direction. The big gobbler would gobble hard and they would back off. Three different times a pair of yearling bucks come walking down the trail I was sitting in and left blowing and stomping. Talk about nerve-wracking. Never spooked the turkeys. The two subordinate turkeys finally wandered off. A few minutes before 10 I yelped softly on the trumpet and he double gobbled at 60 yards. A hen yelped back and we exchanged a few yelp sequences then I got ready. I saw the hen cross a lane first then a big tail fan crossed at maybe 50 yards. I clucked and purred on the mouth call and he gobbled again. The drumming was closer!! Then he strutted out into narrow lane just inside 40 yards and crained his neck to look. The HW 7's buried him. He never flenched. I need a valium!

22 lbs, 1" sharp spurs, 10-1/4" beard.

He had something lodged in breast muscle. My best guess is a stick or branch that was decomposing inside the gristle that had surrounded it. It was about pinky sized. 1/2" diameter and 2" long!

dfresh55

Nice bird! I have the same chair its a game changer fer sure

hunter22

Great bird and hunt David. Way to get her done. I am not sure I could have made it four hours with intense gobbling. It was your turn after helping get your brother his Arkansas gobblers.

drenalinld

I think I had heart palpatations a couple times!

REBELYELL

Congrats on a fine bird and great hunt David. I got one of them chairs before season and love it. For $15, you can't beat the comfort. I found another strap from a camera case and got rid of the short one.

ncturkey

Awesome gobbler. Love my Turkey THUG Chair too.

vaturkey

Congrats David ! Great story & Great Gobbler ! Glad you got to break in your M2.  :icon_thumright:

Vaturkey

Dtrkyman

Awesome, how much does that chair weigh?

drenalinld

6-7 lbs. I carry it in game pouch of vest.

DirtNap647

boomer

tomstopper

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

congrats on an awesome hunt
I love my turkey thug chair too,best 20.00 for turkey hunting that I have spent in a while
it's not the harvest,it's the chase