turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which vest?

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 02, 2014, 02:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I think it is time for me to take the dive and get a vest.  I have never used one in my years of hunting.  From what I am reading, the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2 and the Ol' Tom Dura-Lite I-Beam are two of the top runners.  What one would you buy and why?

Yelper

I tried the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2 and ended up buying the Ol'Tom Cotton full vest. What I didn't like about the Tat'2 was  the padded shoulder strap because it kept making my shotgun slip off my shoulder when walking and also it did not have any shell loops to hold  a few shells and also  I personally did not like the way it was layed out. I like the traditional type vest of the Ol'Tom full vest  and it is also on sale at Midwest turkey supply.

Yelper

Gooserbat

Quote from: Yelper on May 02, 2014, 02:51:02 PM
I tried the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2 and ended up buying the Ol'Tom Cotton full vest. What I didn'y like about the Tat'2 was  the shoulder strap because it kept making my shotgun slip off my shoulder when walking and I personally did not like the way it was layed out. I like the traditional type vest of the Ol'Tom full vest  and it is also on sale at Midwest turkey supply.

Yelper

I had an Ol' Tom Regular Tim and Motion and didn't like it.  It was a quality product but it was just laid out wrong for me.  I myself am in the Tactical Tater camp.  If you can try on both and feel how the pockets are laid out before you buy then that would be the best bet.   I've never saw one but the Whitewater vest is supposed to be another good option and might be worth a look.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

darn2ten

I thought I needed a new vest this year and bought the Ol Tom time and motion. I started swapping my stuff over and figured out that I didn't like it at all. Did not like the lay out, like if you put strikers where they are suppose to go it makes your two front pockets very stiff and can't flex. I took my stuff back out and put them back in my old ragged vest. Returned the Ol Tom back to Bass Pro when I went through Georgia for opening week of their season.

Cut N Run

I had a Time & Motion for two days and sent it back.  It wouldn't hold longbox calls in the box call pockets.  One call dropped out of the vest as I was crossing a mud hole in the road.  That box call is worth more to me than the vest was.  I use a M.O. Limbhanger vest.  Wish I'd bought another as a backup when they were available. 

Picture from this morning 5-2-14. Note the groovy patch above the game bag ;)

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

WV Ridge Reaper

I have the ol tom dura lite time and motion vest,I love it...I had the dura lite time and essentials vest before...I really liked it which made me upgrade for a little more room.

The only thing I don't like about the vest I have now is the shoulder straps...They are wider and padded on the shoulder.

Other in that I don't have a bad thing to say about it,I don't ever see me buying another vest for a long time.

Keep your eye open because midway usa runs sells on the ol tom vest!!

Snoodsniper

I just got the ol' tom I beam 2.0 I haven't  gotten to use it yet. Tomorrow morning is our opening day here so I will know more then. Just messing with it in the house it seems well laid out. It will take some getting used to after using my old MO green leaf vest forever.

ccleroy

Quote from: Yelper on May 02, 2014, 02:51:02 PM
I tried the Cabela's Tactical Tat'r 2 and ended up buying the Ol'Tom Cotton full vest. What I didn'y like about the Tat'2 was  the shoulder strap because it kept making my shotgun slip off my shoulder when walking and it did not have any shell loops to hold  a few shells and also  I personally did not like the way it was layed out. I like the traditional type vest of the Ol'Tom full vest  and it is also on sale at Midwest turkey supply.

Yelper

Tactical Tater convert here after have 4 Super Elites over the last 15-16 years, if you're having a problem with your gun coming off your shoulder that's a sling problem.....get you a claw sling and you won't have that problem anymore. Best sling out there period, no slippage.

dfresh55

I have the cabelas tactile tatr 2 and I love it.. good material good protection for $$$ pot calls and nice butt pad... there is plenty of storage for everything!

DirtNap647

I learned you almost got to go try on all vest see which one suits your needs

alclark2

I bought a cheap vest to see what I thought a few years ago. I don't know what I'd do without my vest now. It's about time for me to upgrade also.

I'd like to be able to carry 2 pots, 2 box calls, magnetic comfortable seat is a must, and the Thermacell holder would be a bonus. I'm leaning towards the I beam vest personally.

Anymore input on the I beam would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

TN Beard Buster

Both the vests you mentioned are quality products. I currently use the original Tat'r. But in my future I see me owning a new vest on the market. It is called the Hands Free by Knight's Hunting Products. It comparable in price to all quality vests. Tons of cool features in a very lightweight vest.

Snoodsniper

Got to use my new I beam today and so far I like it. The pot call holster is very handy. I can't say how well the box call pockets work because I don't carry any. I really like the side zippers in the decoy pouch. They make it super easy to pull the decoys out without taking the vest off. I'll be breaking it in and probably shuffling a few things around this week. I miss the chest pocket on my old vest because I keep my mouth calls in a chew can and that's where I always  put them. Other than that it feels like home.

Twowithone

Got the Cabelas T T 2 and I like it plenty of room. No shell holders but can carry 2 xtra shells somewhere else. Great seat and like said plenty of pockets and storage compartments inside also. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Snoodsniper

Yeah the seat on the I beam is another big plus. Its much better than my old nwtf vest. Like.the back padding too.