turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

My 2014 TN season... pics, video

Started by catman529, May 01, 2014, 10:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

catman529

Well I haven't posted here in a while, but I tagged out on Tuesday so I figured I would post a little on my season for those interested...

Started out good, almost real good... opening morning had 2 longbeards and a hen roosted right in front of me. They flew down to my right and landed in a field. I worked down there and sat in some tall grass and called the 2 gobblers in. They looked about 40-45 yards and one stretched his neck out and I shot. 2 heads bobbed off across the field, somehow I missed.

Well the season started slow and picked up, but pretty much the whole season was on-off-on-off as far as gobbling and turkey activity. The woods would be dead one day, and then another day I would call a suicidal bird right to the gun. I had several close encounters where I was trying to get a shot. I called at least 7 birds on this one particular ridge where I killed 2, and missed one that I tried to ambush (he was in strut at 40 yards, I won't try that again).

Probably the best hunt where I didn't kill was when I spent 4 hours stalking around the edge of a big field that had 2 strutters and a bunch of hens. They never came into range, and were about 60 yards out when they all flew up to roost. One of the toms flew up and landed in a tree about 30 yards from me, right at the end of legal shooting light. Got it on video.

When I had killed my 3rd, I switched to the bow. I called in and drew back on two turkeys from behind the same boulder only a few days apart. The first one, I got the pin on him and squeezed... the arrow ricocheted off the rock! The second one I knelt down instead of sat down, drew back and was waiting for him to clear some trees for an open shot, and somehow he busted me. A few days later, I decided I had given it a good effort, and I picked the shotgun back up.

Anyway, I will let the video tell the rest, I got all the best parts of season wrapped together in one video. Watch: 2014 Turkey Season Highlights

Here are my 4 gobblers. I only got to hunt private land twice, and had no luck there. These are all 2 year old WMA birds. All came in strutting, except for the 4th, which came in silent and running.

April 2

April 10

April 18

April 29

Thanks for looking. Hope yall have had a good season, and those still hunting, best of luck.

HARDCORE

"In the bushes"  Regardless, you did an amazing job self videoing your hunts. I watched your hunt vids last year and I have to admit that I was impressed, I'm even more impressed this year. Keep on, keeping on doing what you're doing... GOOD STUFF!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

HC

darn2ten

DirtNap647

ridgerunner

Jbird22

boomer

longbeard11

Absolutely awesome!!! what a blessed season you had!! Congrats brother!

wvboy

Great .. great video report man.. I enjoy your vids .. I liked last years too.. congrats on a great year again..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

NECKRINGER

Good job on the hunting and video!
What you filming with?

painterjp

bigdoc

Great job on video, and one awesome season.What WMA"s do you hunt?

ALfwlmth

Great season!!!  Congrats on your success!!  No doubt that your success is in direct correlation to the hard work you put in.  I was on here the other day trying to see how your season was going.  I couldn't remember what name you went by, but did remember enjoying your posts and success last season. Well done!!

Some do, some don't. What's it gonna be?

catman529

Thanks yall. definitely was a blessed season. Hopefully will have a new camera by next year. The one i have is good, but the microphone quality sucks. I'm using a lumix FX75. very compact and takes great HD video and good pics too, but I have gotten tired of the sound on the video. next camera will be a lumix with a high zoom lens and a much better mic.

the main reason I haven't got real good kill shots on video, is because I am more concerned about getting the bird in range and killing him than getting the picture perfect shot.

timberjack86

congrats buddy!! Hopefully I will be heading your way next weekend If everything works out.