turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public Land Etiquette

Started by WNCTracker, May 01, 2014, 08:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncturkey

I had similar thing happen to me one year. I would walk up this trail not far from the truck and there would be a sinlge hen decoy in the middle of the trail. I seen this decoy in the same spot two days in a row and went around it going in and out. The third day I new something funny was up cause the decoy was there again. There was a guy that lived next to the game lands. He had denied me permission to park on his land. So I thought to myself I bet put that decoy in the road to try and make me not hunt in that area. So I aproached the decoy from a few different angles to see if I could see a hunter. When I was pretty sure no one was a the decoy. I got on the trail and started to walk toward the decoy while whistling. I got to the decoy and looked around and there was no hunter. The decoy came home with me. Later on I found out from the guy that was letting park at his house to gain access to the game lands that the guy that denied me parking permission had place the decoy in the road to deter hunters from hunting in the area next to his land. I told him that decoy as some how walked away. We both had a good laugh about it. The next season I killed my first turkey down past that trail were the decoy was. When I walked out I could see that grumpy old man on his front porch. I waved at him and said I got one of your turkeys. The old man had told when he denied me parking that those were his turkeys. That was way back in 1997. I have had all kinds of run in's with hunters on game lands. I try and avoid all contact with folks.  Good luck on them game lands. When folks leave you alone the gamelands are fun to hunt.