turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spooky in the tree

Started by Hb35, May 01, 2014, 11:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hb35

I haven't been turkey hunting that long, but usually can kill a couple a year.  I normally hunt in big river bottom woods, no fields, but yesterday I spotted 4 turkeys way back in a big field.  They haven't been in that field in the mornings, but I've seen them out there a lot in mid afternoon.  (My brother saw 2 gobblers both breed hens out there last weekend). I came back by about 6:30 and got out the spotting scope, just as 2 hens walked up the levee out of the field.  One gobbler was still out.  I watched him fly up in a tree, right in the corner.

I called and got permission and borrowed my brothers decoys.  I had to hunt in the field, didn't have permission for woods.  Field has 10 ft levee all the way around.  I got there early, no moon, walked down top of levee towards the corner.  Got about 75-100 yards from his tree and started  unpacking the decoys and heard a turkey directly above and behind me.  I froze and waited, but decided I needed the decoys out to try and get him to fly down in the field instead of the woods.  I crawled out about 5 yards, far as I was brave enough to try, and back to the levee and hid. (Don't think he could see them from the tree at that angle)

The turkey behind me continued to make noise sporadically.  Not putting, sounded kinda like a loud purr.  It was still dark.  After several minutes, she quieted down, and 15 min. Later he fired up.  Anyway, he gobbled a fair amount, seemed like he stayed up longer than normal, then I heard him once on the ground going away through the woods.  I think I heard the one above me flap once and glide after that.

I'm assuming I woke the one up.  My question is, was the purring type noises, used as a type of alarm even though it didn't putt or fly, or just nervousness, and did it affect the gobbler?? 

I can't go this afternoon I guess I'm going to have to just go tomorrow after lunch, put out decoys, and try and wait him out.  Not my favorite, but I don't really have any other good leads right now.

Erno86

Sometimes a turkey purrs...because it is inquisitive or curious about something it has never seen before in the woods. The hen could have been eyeing you over in the woods. I had a hen eye me over around dawn last year; while still in its roost tree. It finally spooked...flying off in the opposite direction of where a tom was gobbling. I did not hear a purr { I could have been too far away}, and I did not hear a putt.

Of course there's a fighting purr...so different volume level's, and rates of purring mean different things to turkeys.

Maybe the hen was scolding you by purring. It might put a gobbler on alert...but I can't verify that.