OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Montana "Merriam"-Blacked out wings

Started by spurcrazy, May 01, 2014, 10:36:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurcrazy

I had an encounter with this bird Saturday morning and let him walk. There were 3 birds rolling together and I wanted to try and double with my wife. We got on the same ridge that afternoon and they didn't let us down. The first hour was quiet and then a hammering triple gobble unexpectedly shattered the silence! They were coming from behind us to our right. Laura got her gun shouldered just as they gobbled again maybe fifty yards away. They came into view about ten yards from the DSD flock and her bird went straight to the Jake. His head transitioned to solid red faster than I have ever seen as he raised it high above the Jake decoy. Normally I would have enjoyed the beating about to take place but instead I whispered "whenever your ready". Maybe .001 second later the magnum blend was on its way!! She back flipped him where he stood and I pulled my gun from my lap and rolled one of the other 2 as they were exiting stage left!! Her Gobbler is like none I've ever seen until searching here ten minutes ago! They claim Montana has only introduced Merriams but I've seen more variety in birds here than the Rios I grew up hunting.

Rio Fan

That's a cool looking bird.  Congrats to both of you!  :icon_thumright:

Jasonb53

congrats! wings almost look fake with them all black like that

longbeard11

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rokhal07

tomstopper

DirtNap647

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

beagler

Never Misses

ncturkey

darn2ten

Man, that is a super cool gobbler, congrats on y'all's double!

bluetick58

Neat turkey I'd love to go west and turkey hunt sometime

Bigspurs68

Sweet! I killed a black winged eastern years ago. That bird is beautiful. Congrats to you both.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase