turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2014 - Fast and Furious

Started by SCtrkyhntr, April 30, 2014, 05:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCtrkyhntr

My 2014 season ended earlier than normal, but it has been a phenomenal spring and I have no complaints. Due to work and life my hunting days were limited this year but the action on the hunts I did have were fast paced. It seemed the weather and the scenery changed daily. From SC river bottoms and pine plantations to western corn fields and canyons, no matter where I ended up it seemed the turkey gods were looking out for me.

I only managed one lowcountry hunt this year with my long time hunting buddy. We checked a small piece of private land and had 2 birds answer the call and come in a little faster than I was ready for. By the time I got my gun on the lead bird he was at about 6 steps. I pulled the bed low on his neck and let the 20ga claim its first long beard.

A few days later my buddy and I chased this bird around in a pine plantation and then down into a river bottom. Finally after getting into the river bottom, the tom and all his hens came in to check us out. He was able to shoot this one at about 10 yards.

That afternoon I went to try a bird that eluded me and my nephew on youth day and then again on opening morning. I set up near his roost area and after a few series of calls he came strutting in looking for his lady. He was a stud double beard with 1 7/16" spurs.

Another double beard played the game fast the next morning. One series of tree yelps and this guy double gobbled, pitched down, and ran in to meet a load of Hevi 13's.

About 3 days later I decided to try another bird that I heard in the distance the day I killed the suicidal double beard. This one was not nearly as easy, I played cat and mouse with him all morning before he finally broke and came in for a look.

Next hunt was with my long time hunting buddy and one of the best in a long time. We had 5 long beards hammering in a public land river bottom. All 5 long beard and several hens pitched down right in front of us and strutted around until my buddy got two lined up and executed a one shot double.

My next available day to hunt brought heavy rain and high wind. I headed to the woods with low expectations but was determined to give it a try. First spot yielded nothing. I got out at the second spot for the day and heard a bird gobbling on his own, 10 minutes later the 20 ga was doing work again.

My western adventures came much earlier this year than normal due to my work schedule and a buddy's work schedule that also makes the hunt. Despite less than ideal weather conditions and a shorter than normal duration, Rios and Merriams were flopping from sunrise on the first morning until all tags were punched. My trip was made on the very first morning when I got to watch 10 long beards come strutting and gobbling side by side over the crest of a hill with a breath taking sunrise in the back ground.

Broken spur and beard rot birds do not get a free pass, if they have a full fan I do not grade them.

I haven't even unpacked my gear and I am already planning hunts for 2015, god I love this game. Good luck to everyone still after'em!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

taylorjones20

Wow what a season!  Congrats!!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

DirtNap647

surehuntsalot

congrats on some very nice birds
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

tomstopper

Congrats on an awesome season and many great birds.....

SinGin

Holy cow, how many turkeys have killed this year? Looks like you had a lot of fun.

BBD

Congrats on a great season, I'd hate to seen the damage you could have done if you'd had time  :z-guntootsmiley:

boomer

ncturkey

What a season. WTG. I wish I thought you had a litimted amount of time. I guees it did happen faster for you this year.