turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting without much green up?

Started by Cutt, April 29, 2014, 09:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I often hear many hunters say they prefer it open for hunting rather than green up? And after my first week in Ohio I have to really disagree. Even though I did manage to take a nice 3 year old the first day, the second bird  has yet to come, but have had 5 in gun range, with no shots presented?

To me it's just so open without much greenup, these birds can really use their eyes and get supscious? I had em strutting in thick areas with no shot as they could clearly see no hen was there, where if it was greener he might have traveled a bit more? Called one up a hill to a bench where he just pops his head up over the crest, could have shot, but couldn't see the beard, and a few others I saw but just wouldn't commit to the clean open shot by traveling just a few more yards or so, and have to think it's just so open they can use their eyes, and really survey the area where they heard the calling? Then agian I'm not using dekes or a blind, and at times feel like I stick out without the greenup?

What's your opinion? do you like some greenup, which you feel makes the bird look a bit more?  And the bird I did take was with 2 others, where birds in groups to me, seem more likely to search more, than a bird by itself? As the ones that got away and eluded me were alone. Do you notice this with birds also, as multiples are easier to dupe, than loners? I know there's more eyes with multiples, but seem more willing to search more than a loner? I'll get back out this weekend which should be a good bit greener with all the rain, so hopefully it will help?

Cutt

Well after a few days of rain, what a difference with the oncoming greenup. As it helped me bag Ohio bird #2, as nice 3 year old at 21 lbs. He didn't seem to mind me sitting up against a tree, like the others did? Just in time as our PA Season starts tomorrow, but by the end of our late season, I'll probably wishing it wasn't as green? ???

DirtNap647

too green makes it hard to hear its hot but no green up and your right its hard to be stealthy

surehuntsalot

as far as hearing/listening goes,I like the early spring/winter open woods
as far as hunting,I like the greened up woods a little better,
I always make my set up so when they show up,they are in range.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WildSpur

Knock on wood I have great hearing. ..my wife may beg to differ though.  With no foliage I find myself going after birds that are alot farther than what I think they are.  At least when there is full foliage I know the birds are close.  I also don't like the barren ground because in the timber birds will often hang up just out of shotgun range for me.  Atleast with some ground vegetation they will come a little closer looking.  Now I am a timber hunter so if I was a field hunter I would probably feel the opposite.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

Cutt

Another reason I  like some greenup is, I like to run and gun later in the morning to find a willing bird. But when I can see from one ridge to the next ridge because of the lack of cover, I think one bumps more birds than they realize? It's still very open here where I can see quite a ways in the woods, so running and gunning right now, probably does more harm than good?