turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No luck with decoys????

Started by wisconsinteacher, April 28, 2014, 02:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

I am starting to wonder about the "magic" of decoys.  I have 2 older hens (HS Strut I think) and a Primos Jake-moble.  I had some issues with birds flairing from the jake with a tail fan on it so I removed that and thought, it looks like a 1/2 strut jake so I put that out with one of the hens pinned closer to the ground and the other hen 5 yards away.  Yesterday, I had 2 toms step out and look at them from 90 yards and then walk off.  I don't understand why I don't have luck with birds coming into my decoys.  Is it that they are older and not as life like as the DSD?  Am I setting them in the wrong spot?  We were in a small wood lot with pasture all around with a road in the middle.  We were set up on the edge of the road in a blind with the decoys 5 yards from us.  Do I just toss them and forget about them or invest in better ones? 

I have had two good interactions with toms and decoys in the past 6 years other than that, I have had toms turn around when they see it. 

I only use them in places where you can see over 75 yards or in fields.

scoot12

I hear you I am done with everything except maybe a hen,  my wife bought me the Dakota jake quarter strut which looks great and had that and a relaxed hen and two mornings in a row gobs came to my food plot and seen jake and 3 gobs turned around and walked off and next morning a nice gob circled around and wondered off gobbling his head off.  I know my setup was good, because in the afternoon 4 jakes came right in about 10 yards from me and also have had lone hens come in close.  Wisconsin teacher I am frustrated and was told maybe I have a lot of sub-dominant gobs that have already had their butt kicked and want nothing to do with even a jake,  maybe you have same problem.  Scoot

stinkpickle

It happens.  I doubt it has anything to do with the look of the dekes.  It could be late in the pecking order stage, and the skirting birds don't want to fight.

L.F. Cox

The answer is simple....in nature hens go to the gobbler.

When you call one to you you're going against nature.

It takes patience calling turkeys...it also takes not over calling to the point of sounding unnatural and losing the gobblers curiosity.

In the spring hens are nesting and generally are not very vocal...I killed a nice gobbler last week at 10:00 am I walked in and sat down at 8 am....I made three series of calls about 30 minutes apart on my box call about 9:40 a gobbler gobbled one time down the hill behind me...did I call or try and turn on him. NO

About 20 minutes later he walked over the hill in front of me and gobbled two times before he died.

Loose the decoys and make the gobbler hunt for you,

turkey harvester

That sucks. I will almost always use my decoys. No they aren't the expensive ones and I only use 1. I think people get too wrapped up in multiple decoys and how to place them when they just need 1. Give the gobbler something to focus on. Works for me every year. Put a 22 lb bird on the ground Saturday morning.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

wisconsinteacher

This happened during the 2nd season in WI so the birds are still grouped up good here.  I know they work but I just don't see the results that others see while in the field. 

mudhen

Depends on the hunt location for me.

I can take dekes, or leave them, but there are some really fun set-ups that I like to try on occasion.

I do believe that the good dekes can produce good results, but so can cheapy dekes.

Coves or bays in a crop field bottom can make for a good hunt.

Killed four toms last week, 2 with decoys, 2 without, all with calling.

I move decoys all over the place, rarely closer than 30 yards though, I'm trying to direct traffic more than anything else...

The only thing I know for sure is that nothing is sure when I'm turkey hunting....

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

gaswamp

Quote from: L.F. Cox on April 28, 2014, 02:57:10 PM
The answer is simple....in nature hens go to the gobbler.

When you call one to you you're going against nature.

It takes patience calling turkeys...it also takes not over calling to the point of sounding unnatural and losing the gobblers curiosity.

In the spring hens are nesting and generally are not very vocal...I killed a nice gobbler last week at 10:00 am I walked in and sat down at 8 am....I made three series of calls about 30 minutes apart on my box call about 9:40 a gobbler gobbled one time down the hill behind me...did I call or try and turn on him. NO

About 20 minutes later he walked over the hill in front of me and gobbled two times before he died.

Loose the decoys and make the gobbler hunt for you,

some good advise here

L.F. Cox

Sadly I don't think anyone was home when I posted it....

fallhnt

We were the 1st to hunt our spot in KS. archery season and my buddy said the birds are blind and decoy shy. I told they are just being normal. I have hunted 12 days so far and have birds in the decoys2 times. A hen and the next day 7 jakes. I killed the jake.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gooserbat

I'm not a decoy fan.  Most of my experiences with them have lead to spooked or hung up gobblers.  I find it much better to set up in a fashion where the tom has to look for you and thus bring himself into gun range. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WildTigerTrout

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 29, 2014, 10:04:14 AM
I'm not a decoy fan.  Most of my experiences with them have lead to spooked or hung up gobblers.  I find it much better to set up in a fashion where the tom has to look for you and thus bring himself into gun range.
+1  :z-winnersmiley:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

RutnNStrutn

I've killed birds over dekes, and I've killed birds not using dekes. In woods that are thick enough, I let the gobbler hunt the hen he heard (my calls). In more open places, which I hunt a lot, I give the gobbler a visual to go along with what he heard. I have had some awesome experiences using decoys!! And I've had some bad experiences using decoys.
I've had strutters come out with a harem of hens, see Bmobile with a real fan over a "ready" hen, and come running to their death, leaving all the ladies behind. I've also had gobblers skirt my strutter deke. It happens.
I've had gobblers come in and whip my jake deke's butt, then die. I've had subordinate gobblers afraid to come in on a jake deke. It happens.
I've had gobblers come strutting in to a hen decoy only, then die. I've had gobblers stand out of range, look, then walk away from a hen decoy. It happens too.
The point is that there is no magic to decoys. The right bird, in the right place, at the right time is magical, and can produce outstanding hunts! But if you use decoys regularly, you must anticipate that there will be some bad results as well.
Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't. Like all the other tactics in turkey hunting, the choice is a personal one. Do what you feel works best for you.

ncturkey

I personally do not like useing decoys. But if I do I use only a hen. I would try and setup where the gobbler has to come look for you. Good Luck.

DirtNap647