turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How Many Bow hunters we have here?

Started by redleg06, March 16, 2011, 08:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redleg06

Guys, Im wanting to try and use a bow to bag a gobbler or two this year and wanted to get some feedback....

Blinds or No blinds?   Decoys?

What kind of average distances are the shots etc..?

I've always loved to turkey hunt and always loved to shoot my bow so Im not real sure why I havent done both at the same time until now and would like to hear about it from some guys who have been there before.  :z-paddy-smiley113:

fallhnt

I'll go first.I hunt out of a blind.Too many turkeys around to try and draw on.I can't remember the last time I called in just one bird.I hunt 4 states a year, spring and fall, for turkeys.The only time I take a gun is fall to MO.Decoys...I have 4 stuffers and 2 DSD's.1 Floozie ,a jake, and a garage full of junk decoys.Shots are under 10 yrds.I have killed 4 at 30 yrds.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Fireengine70

I have been bow-hunting turkeys for a number of years and I can tell you one of the hardest things to do is to come to full draw on a gobbler outside of a blind without being busted. I would highly recommend a blind if you're gonna stretch a string on one. Try using a couple of dekes in front of you, maybe a hen or two and a jake should be fine. As far as distance, shoot within your comfort zone, whether it be 10, 20, 30 yards or whatever. Practice shooting out of your blind, make sure you have enough room in there to come to full draw. Have fun and good luck :fud:

Cove

I've killed a few with my bow, always with a blind. Given the time this year I am going to attempt to take a bird on public land with a bow with no blind. I am currently in the process of decorating my Bowtech Destroyer with artificial ivy to break up my outline and provide some cover.

Basser69

Those are great pics! I do not know how you could kill a bird with a bow and not be in a blind

fallsflight

I bow hunt for deer a lot and love killing bucks with my bow however, I have never shot a turkey with a bow.  I have had chances in the fall from the stand, but have never even attempted to draw, as I always think maybe a buck is coming in and it will only mess the hunt up.

As far as spring season, I always say after I take my first bird of the season with the gun, I will grab the bow and finish off with that.  For some reason, I ALWAYS end up taking the gun.  I guess there is something about shooting a turkey in the face with a load of birdshot and hearing the boom from the gun.

redleg06

Quote from: fallsflight on March 17, 2011, 06:49:16 AM

As far as spring season, I always say after I take my first bird of the season with the gun, I will grab the bow and finish off with that.  For some reason, I ALWAYS end up taking the gun.  I guess there is something about shooting a turkey in the face with a load of birdshot and hearing the boom from the gun.

Thats exactly what Ive done the past few seasons. I find myself picking up the scattergun every time I head out the door.

bowhunter84

i've never bow hunted for turkeys before but i plan on it this year. i will be using a blind

doublegobble

I have hunted turkeys with my bow for quite a few years. I tried the 1st 2 years without a blind and it didn't work for me. Couldn't ever get drawn on them without them catching me. I use a blind and a deke or 2 too draw them in close. It is alot of fun hunting with a bow and you feel like you really accomplish something when you get one killed. With all that said, I am going strickly shotgun hunting this year. I am looking forward to being back after them with the ability to easily move if I have to. Good luck!
Red meat isn't bad for you, fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

LX_Trkyhntr

All of the birds I have killed with my bow have been out of a blind.  I usually try to set my decoys about 10 - 12 yds from the blind.  I have shot them at 5 and all the way out to 40yds with my bow.

I have hunted without the blind, but like others it gets WAY more difficult.  It can be done, I know people that score regularly bowhunting without a blind.  I have to travel to turkey hunt and with a limited amount of time I like to try to up my odds.

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Fox Fire

I've never tried to take a turkey with my bow but have tried for squirrels(score...squirrels 3, me 0),   with all the people talk'n turkey hunt'n I mite just have to see what I can do, sounds like fun.

Muskie03

Decoys are a MUST!!! I killed my first spring gobbler last year with my bow WITHOUT A BLIND early in the season(no green leaves). I also got busted a couple times too. It's tough for some one who "runs and guns"(and that's an understatement). But I wanted to accomplish something not many have. Killed a couple fall hens and jakes without a blind using my bow also(but that's more or less patterning dumb juvenile birds for me). Only time I use blinds is when I'm guiding(mostly cause I don't trust my clients ability not to move), otherwise I cant stand them. I do my best to keep my deeks around 8-10 yds. It just makes shots a little easier.

Muskie03 Taught Me A Lesson In 2011

If it eats I can catch it, if it bleeds I can kill it.

Cove

I've come to full draw undetected on a bird without a blind but wasn't able to make it happen. I think it surprised me so much when I accomplished that I flubbed the shot!  ;D The birds I've killed were all using a blind, which means it was private land and most of the time we roosted the gobbler the night before. . . .

LX_Trkyhntr

Hey covehunter, how do you like the FOB's?
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Cove

I really like them, have been shooting them since 2007. They are smokin' accurate and easy to replace/ install on the fly. But to be completely honest, I've had a difficult time finding the arrow and FOB after the shot. It really gets irritating. This is the only reason I've considered moving back to vanes and lumenoks.