turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

"BEST DAY EVER"

Started by Tom Dooley, April 25, 2014, 09:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

Me and my 7 yr old daughter Grace headed out to the blind for a hunt this afternoon. We packed water, pop, and snacks. Grace also brought a book to read, a pencil and paper for math and a bracelet making kit. As we rounded a corner in the field I spotted a tom before he spotted us. We fell to the ground and stuck out a decoy. I looked around and couldn't find the gun. I asked Grace and she said I must of left it in the truck. I took down the decoy and told her to sit still. I eased around the field corner and ran to the truck, got the gun and ran back to the corner. I eased back to Grace, raised up a little, looking through some old polk stalks I could see that the tom was still in the field. I crawled out a few yards into the field set the decoy back up and crawled to the field edge with Grace. We set up against some saplings and weeds. I pulled out my Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen slate and made 2 series of yelps. I then set Grace in My lap and helped her support the gun. Almost immediately I could see the tom coming. 60, 50, 40, then 30 yards. I tried to stop him but he wouldn't stop. I told Grace to put the dot on his head and pull the trigger. I heard a click, and thought oh no, but I remembered putting the shell in. I guess the click was her pulling the slack out of the trigger. I said Grace shoot. When the gun went off the tom dropped at 17 yards. We jumped, laughed, hollered and even done a turkey dance. We then got on our knees and thanked God for blessing us with such an awesome experience. When we got back in the truck Grace looked at me and said "Best Day Ever". I couldn't of said it better myself.

renegade19

Bigspurs68

That's great! I have that wonderful feeling every time my girls kill a turkey or deer. It never gets old!! I'm sure you are very proud of her! Tell her great job!! You may have forgot the gun in the truck but don't feel bad, I forgot to load my daughters gun once. Big ol bird, on video, click!! From one dad to another.....don't do that. It makes you feel very dumb. Lol.
  Enjoy the days in the woods with her. Good job.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

1iagobblergetter

Congrats!! My boy was seven and bagged his first Tom 2 yrs ago. It's by far the favorite hunt I've ever been on. Now if he's not with me when I hunt because of school it's not the same.

hookedspur

Great job Grace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

DirtNap647

Dan Mallia

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

goblr77

Congrats to both of you.

Gooserbat

Super Day!!!! Congrats to the young lady.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

TJK68

Great story, Congrats to Grace!  :icon_thumright:

jblackburn

Smile says it all!! Congrats!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

wirtbowhunter

That's awesome, congrats to your young lady!!

Tom Dooley

Thanks everyone. I couldn't go to sleep last night. That hunt just kept going through my mind.