OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

flame conditioning???

Started by Oconeeguy, April 24, 2014, 07:49:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

I read somewhere on line that putting a lighter to a slate call for a few seconds "conditions" it to make a very realistic sound. I tried this and by golly it works. However, i only use it on my secondary calls for fear of somehow damaging my very best calls.

Any down side to doing this??

West Augusta

Keep the flame moving.  Over heating the slate can cause it to crack or separate.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Maintenancetech

So how does it change the sound?

VAarrowslinger

This removes the moisture in the slate and yes... Do carefully and move the flame around

turkeykiller

How often should you do this and how long.

TarheelTurk

Quote from: turkeykiller on April 27, 2014, 06:21:11 PM
How often should you do this and how long.

As West Augusta and VA arrow...was saying be sure to keep the flame moving you can see the moisture ring  as your moving the lighter around , and I do it anytime I think the call has gotten wet like yesterday here lol .... Wouldn't over do it but slate does seem to absorb moisture over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

brokerolla

Just tried this, seemed to really improve the tone and the striker stopped "skipping" across the slate. Started doing that yesterday after the rain we had up here in Maine (didn't use it in the rain but anyways) and it was frustrating I couldn't figure out why!