OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ohio bird

Started by Tatr, April 24, 2014, 11:07:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatr

I heard a good bird gobbling on the hill with me so I sat down and started mouth calling lightly. He wouldn't cut me off or gobble right back at me but if I kept my mouth shut too long  he would gobble.  He started working to my right rather than right at me. So I moved right and 75 yards closer and called lightly. He gobbled a few times but of course was not wanting to commit. Then 2 more gobbled on my left that I hadn't heard all morning. I made a few purrs and shut up. I heard them fly across the ravine. Then I could hear them coming in the leaves. They would gobble every few minutes. They came up to the top of the hill with me at 30 yards.  Both of them were jakes but they tried there best to put on a show.  I almost didn't shoot but with how things have been all week and people asking me to take them hunting  but all of them said I needed to kill one first  I figured I better. I cut and yelped just to make them gobble a few times and them put the bead on one and shot. He flopped and the other ran to him and kicked the crap out of him. I got up and got him and the other jake wouldn't leave. He just ran around like an idiot. He is no big long beard but it was fun and he will taste good. That's why we have 2 tags any way!

JALA Strut

boomer

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DirtNap647

RutnNStrutn

You gotta do what's right for you. Congrats!! Glad you had fun!!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

Wrangler95

:happy0064:Congrats
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

TJK68

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

hunter-b

beagler

Never Misses

Tatr

Thanks to all!

Took the gf out this morning.  We got setup on a bird on the roost this morning.  we sat down 125 yards from him on the same ridge as him.  I couldn't decide whether to setup on the hilltop or the shelf just below.  I decided to setup on the shelf because he sounded like he was low on the hill.  I made a few tree yelps to let him know we where there.  Once he flew down I made a few soft yelps and after making him gobble a few times I switched to strictly purrs. It drove him nuts.  He cut the distance to 60 yards within 2 minutes easy.  He came in the rest of the way but came up the hill from us. I should have known better and setup on the hilltop but live and learn I guess.  He hungup in some brush at 35 yards. I told her the next time he stepped into the open spot to shoot. she did and I never heard a sound after. After looking for him for 15 minutes I started checking the trees in line with where she shot. sure enough over half of her shot was in a small ash tree at 15 yards. :(.  We setup on a different bird at a different farm a while later but he would not come in. Only the second time I have been over there and have no idea on how exactly it all lays out.  he hungup after getting halfway to us from 200 yards or so.  We are headed back out tomorrow for redemption. wish us luck and good luck to all of you!

Woodsman4God

Congrats on the first one and Good luck on the next one

tomstopper

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 24, 2014, 06:28:54 PM
You gotta do what's right for you. Congrats!! Glad you had fun!!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk
:agreed: Congrats....

dfresh55

nice! sounds liek it was a fun hunt!