OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hunting

Started by ky turkey hunter, April 23, 2014, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ky turkey hunter

Does anyone just go hunting anymore or have we all got head's full of chokes,shot count, shells , guns calls and decoys

Spring_Woods

What we've done is take a sport that is relatively simple and broke it down into micro elements and pretend like shell brands, camo color, choke tubes, etc all actually determine the outcome of the hunt. Why? Because it's fun.

Me- I try to keep it simple but I still heed the advice here and shoot a great shell and a nice gun/choke combo. Aside from that I rarely use decoys, never wear a vest, and will never partake in the new hunting methods of sneaking/stalking birds.

I always say just enjoy it for what it is. As long as someone is doing it legal, who cares how they hunt.
"YMMV"
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

DirtNap647

don't blame anybody for wanting full potential out of there gear

jblackburn

I think it's all part of the hunt, always has been.  You can't tell me that there were not guys "in the good old days" comparing how their Ithaca 37's and Winchester 12's shot!  It may not have been 10 inch circles, and certainly was not HTL, but we have always wanted to get the best from out equipment.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ky turkey hunter

What iam getting at is have we pushed the sport to far are we making it harder then it is has to be  having good equipment is one thing but when I see young man at gun shop s ask for something that will shoot distance that a shotgun was not made for and joking about turkey they wound

ky turkey hunter

I guess the  guides I had on this last hunt in mo got me all worked up over this gun thing

jblackburn

Quote from: ky turkey hunter on April 23, 2014, 07:32:15 PM
What iam getting at is have we pushed the sport to far are we making it harder then it is has to be  having good equipment is one thing but when I see young man at gun shop s ask for something that will shoot distance that a shotgun was not made for and joking about turkey they wound

Ok, now that is understandable.  Wounding a bird is not funny, especially when it is because of plain stupidity.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

1iagobblergetter

Someone like that either isn't educated or would push the limit know matter what there gun and load could ethically do.

R AJ

I hunt the same geographical area that I started 50 years ago and my hunting gear has improved but the birds are basically the same. Choke , shells, cammo, all improvements over the 60's.

getting up at 3:30-4:00 several mornings and going to work during the day is as tough as ever.

ky turkey hunter

Im just a little mad I filled my tags in mo with two wounded birds one could not fly or move around much I walked to 10 or so yards before it  tried to get up I ask the guide what was going on there his answer was its just a turkey i should have known that trip was going to be bad when the guide ask how I felt about shooting turkey from a football field away 

Spring_Woods

Quote from: ky turkey hunter on April 23, 2014, 08:06:34 PM
Im just a little mad I filled my tags in mo with two wounded birds one could not fly or move around much I walked to 10 or so yards before it  tried to get up I ask the guide what was going on there his answer was its just a turkey i should have known that trip was going to be bad when the guide ask how I felt about shooting turkey from a football field away

Ummm WHAT?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

surehuntsalot

I still "hunt" them
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 23, 2014, 06:49:59 PM
I always say just enjoy it for what it is. As long as someone is doing it legal, who cares how they hunt.
"YMMV"
:icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!