OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

My 3 day season in AR

Started by ouachitamtnman, April 22, 2014, 09:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouachitamtnman

Had a good start to Easter.  Was on a bird opening day that I was unable to close the deal on so I was back there Easter morning with a decoy since the woods were so open where they were.  That bird and a couple others were gobbling on the roost but the bird closest to me only gobbled twice while ones further away were tearing the world up but I could hear people owling at them so I decided to stay put and at 6:45, BOOM! prob 200 yds away someone shot.  A few min later I let out a yelp and a bird gobbled  about 300yds out.  I called again and again he answered so I closed the distance about 80 yds to an old road they like to strut in and set the decoy up.  I called and he gobbled and sounded closer but I didn't like my setup so I quickly moved.  About that time BOOM! 200 yds in the another direction.  Scared that the bird spooked, I called again and he gobbled and this time he was within 80 yds and I could hear him drumming.  He drummed, gobbled and strutted for 15 min or so and finally I could see him coming down the grown up road.  Within minutes he was in range with his head up so I took my opportunity and made it count.  It was a few min after 7.  Great morning.

The next day, I was off and was back at it with a good freind of mine.  We hit a couple of spots with not much doing.  At our 3rd spot, we made our way in and called and didn't hear anything but I knew it held birds so we walked a bit further when my buddy said he heard a gobble but couldn't course it.  I took that to mean it was far off so I start high tailing up the ridge when i got about 80 yds I thought we might try to locate him and when I stopped, I heard the dreaded PUTT. To my joy, he started gobbling at the hen we had just spooked's putts so I knew he hadnt seen us.  My buddy Edd and I sat down in the middle of the fire trail and he made a few calls and the bird answered and within minutes he was at 12 yds and I let him have it.  Season over, just like that.  Now I'm going to work to get my little girl a turkey.

10 1/4" beard
7/8 & 15/16 spurs
19lbs

Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

DirtNap647

TJK68

boomer

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

JALA Strut

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

bigdoc

Gawhitaker

Congrats on a couple of fine birds

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

beagler

Never Misses

slamman

congrats on a couple of nice birds

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

Those are 2 fine specimens. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.