turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Im so sick right now.....

Started by jakesdad, April 21, 2014, 12:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

:angry9: Set up this morning in a field I know birds have been in alot.Some gobbling early but no turkeys come into the field.About 815 one starts hammering on his own about 100 yds in front of me in the timber.Give a little sweet talk on my Hot Hen and he hammers back.Give him one more and he is hammering and coming.Gets into the field and is about 60yds.Struts and gobbles struts and gobbles.Finally closes inside the magical 40 mark and is getting a little edgy because he doesnt see any hens(no dekes) out.I give him a howdy do of Hevi shot 6's out of the 20 and its back flop city.Hes a rollin around then hes on his feet!!Slow but hes goin.Give him another one about 45 yds out and its face plant in the dirt.I stand there for a while just watching him,he aint flinchin.kneel down to get my vest to go get him and hes up again headed for the timber.He's too far to shoot by now so I just watch him and hes leanin pretty good as he goes in the timber.I reload and ease into the woods to find him and NOTHIN!!!!I looked for over an hour and its not thick woods.Looked in the ditches and creeks and what few blowdowns there are and not a thing.I feel so disgusted with myself now I cant hardly stand it.I would of rather just flat out missed than to wound one like that.Makes ya feel about 2 inches tall!! :angry9: :angry9:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

FullChoke

:'( I have had that same feeling in my gut like I know you are feeling right now. I'm sorry. Season ain't over.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

jakesdad

No luckily its just the first day.Not the first time its happened but hopefully the last.I know it happens to everybody sooner or later but just makes ya feel disgusted with yourself when you go over all the what ifs.

Oh well the sun will come up tomorrow and more birds will be there for the chase.I guess all a guy can do is try his best and move on.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Tommy Strutsalot

Yeah that sucks, get back up in there and check it out again with a buddy. I know you said you looked well, but sometimes a fresh set of eyes can do wonders. Sometimes they're not too much different than deer and will be laid up dead somewhere.   It's definitely a crappy feeling, we've all (or most of us) have been there before. 

paboxcall

If you or a buddy has a bird dog that would help with locating the gobbler.  Its amazing how they can seemingly disappear once they are down.  Kick or thrash some leaves on themselves, crawl under a blow down, etc.

You did your best, and nothing goes to waste in nature.  Its part of it sometimes. 
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

DirtNap647

they can hide like no other im tellin ya but it does happen life goes on keep huntin

trackerbucky

+1 on the buddy with a dog.  If he's anywhere the dog will find him right now.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

va wingbone

You'll be sick until you grab a hold of the next gobblers feet. Been there and its a horrible feeling but I agree with the comments about the dog

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

TauntoHawk

I've had this happen once, still now idea what happened. I was pretty sick and honestly still really tore up all the way to the next season about what happened, if I did something wrong, what I could have done.

A few more stone dead birds for the fryer was the best way to ease the pain.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

troutfisher13111

It happens. You just gotta push it out of your mind. You don't want it hanging over your head all season.

jakesdad

Oh i'm sure i'll get over it,hopefully tomorrow morning.I think the worst part is like what a lot of you said is replaying all the what ifs,but i guess thats how we learn.

And I dont anybody with a bird dog that lives close.Believe me the thought really crossed my mind.My friends with dogs(that live fairly close anyways) are rabbit runners and coon chasers.

SwampSniper

Tough hunt. Something similar happened to me a couple of years ago, if you have a buddy with a dog, give that a shot. Like the others mentioned, a dog can ferret him out pretty easily.

chadly

Bummer.  It happens.  My wife once shot a huge tom and as he flopped we high fived.  Went to stand up and he was on his feet running.  I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could.  I just could not get in range and he just kept going.  It sucks but happens.  Lesson learned for me is to move immediately after the shot so if he gets up your that much closer for the follow up shot.  Post a picture tomorrow of a bigger bird. 

reflexl

I had a bird get cross ways right when I squeezed the trigger and ended up blowing feathers off his back. Found very little blood and no bird. I know how it feels. Somehow we are programmed to get over it. The next year I was hunting in the same area and killed a bird. I found something under his skin near the top of his back................I cut it open and it was shot and the entry holes were healed over. reflexl

steveo

Unfortunate but it happens......... Get back on the horse and go redeem yourself !. It's never a good feeling but if you hunt enough it is gonna happen, try as you may it will, I do agree ya would rather flat out miss than hit and wound  :( sorry to hear and good luck on future hunts !.