turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Mexico was good!!

Started by Turkeyman11, April 19, 2014, 07:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman11

+My cousin, a buddy and I made our annual trip to the Gila National Forest in New Mexico and I have to say it was the best turkey hunt I've ever been on.  Opening morning found my cousin and I set up 150 yards from three gobblers I roosted the night before the season.  About 10 minutes after fly down a hen came to our calls followed by four long beards.  We counted to three and nailed a double.  We quickly gathered our birds up, hiked back to the ATVs and headed to a canyon where I heard a bird the morning before.  After quickly locating another gobbler we set up on him and Bret closed the deal as I brought him in on a string.  When we returned to camp we found that Dustin had also connected on a gobbler.  Four opening morning birds down!  That evening was really windy so we weren't able to roost any birds.  We decided to go check an area I had scouted the day before and saw a lot of sign.  We arrived and hiked up a long ridge when a gobble finally broke the silence.  He was a long way away so by the time we got there he was on the ground and moving away.  We followed him up the ridge till we closed the gap to 200 yards or so.  We called to him and he responded to we sat down right there.  Two minutes later Bret called again and he about blew my hat off just over a little ridge.  Before long he appeared in strut with another gobbler in tow.  I waited for him to clear and hammered him and a second later Dustin sealed the deal on bird number six.  Tagged out in two mornings.  We spent that afternoon looking for antlers and picked up nine elk antlers and five deer.  One being a 95 inch nontypical.  Couldn't match him up after several hours but still a trip I won't soon forget!

Wrangler95

:happy0064:very nice,congrats
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

datrip

Yeah that was a good trip. That bone and feather pic is really cool. Congrats!
Whatever is over my head is under His feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2007

Rokhal07

Sounds like a fun time. Congrats!

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

DirtNap647

RutnNStrutn

What an incredible hunt!!! Congrats on the success!!!

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

boomer

sasquatch1

Congrats on an awesome trip

dirtnap

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

trackerbucky

Great pictures.  Congrats.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

slamman

nice sheds and congrats on your hunt