turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

slow in VA

Started by va wingbone, April 19, 2014, 05:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

Anybody else having a hard time hunting in VA? Slowest start I've ever had! I've got 10k acres to hunt and I cant get on a bird, I've been every morning and have only heard 2 all week. And they were on a farm I didn't have permission to hunt!
The only way I can tell it's spring is because it's greening up certainly not because of the gobbling activity.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

WV Ridge Reaper

I have a friend that's been out in Va just about everyday and he's having a pretty ruff time as well.I really hope WV is not like that in 8 days.

weave

Has been slow for me but finally put one down this morning.  Came in on a string to my DSD jake.  I called him in from a long way off.  Used 3 different calls to do various fly downs then just some mild clucks and yelps and it was over before 6:45am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

NoMoDanSnyder

Slow in VA for sure.  Heard only two gobbles so far and nothing after they hit the ground.  Tried National Forest and private land in Loudoun.

PEHunter

I hunt in Tazewell cnty and its the same story there.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

appalachianstruttstopper

Henned up pretty bad here in south west of VA. Called in 1 on opening day about 9 in the morning, Monday called in a group of about 6 hens with 2 strutters, and Friday called in 1 strutter with 3 hens. But I have put the time in. Staying with the hens all day and going to roost with them.

SS Calls

Same story here in Southwest Virginia. Sporadic gobbling on the roost and silence once they hit the ground. Our woods still look like Fall here, so hopefully things will heat up in the coming weeks.

turkey_slayer

Not much after flydown but we've laid em down in southwest va

VaTuRkStOmPeR

You can't go hunting right now expecting to call a bird a long way to the gun.
They're very henned up and not saying much after flydown. We got right on the roosts this week and killed all of them before 640am.

pcgobbler

Mornings have been slow here in eastern NC, but if you can hunt in afternoons there try that. Boys around here have been slaying them in the afternoons.  Killed one last week at 7 pm myself.

va wingbone

Finally got him this morning.! Roosted him last night, flew down and made a B line to me and was hanging over my shoulder by 6 : 35

"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

weave

Quote from: va wingbone on April 21, 2014, 07:31:16 AM
Finally got him this morning.! Roosted him last night, flew down and made a B line to me and was hanging over my shoulder by 6 : 35

Congrats

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

turkey john

Typical early season hunting after a long hard Winter. It will get better as things green up. Best hunting will be in May. I grew up hunting in Va and still have a hunt camp in the mtns. I'll be heading there next week...

longbeard11

Just got back from 2 days in VA and we should have had two birds on the ground!! heard tons of gobbling both days and called in old birds both days.  First day I was on the bird but didnt have him on camera so I let him walk away hoping to get back on him and never was able to.  Second day we hear 20+ different birds gobbling their heads off and got on on we roosted right off the limb. Saw him on the limb when it got daylight 40 yards from us, pitched down and strutted to the decoys and my buddy ended up missing him at 15 yards, just got a little too excited lol not really sure what happened.  Overall we heard a ton of gobbling both days, but second day not much gobbling after 8:00, not really sure what happened. Got with hens or something. 

My buddy I hunt with there is tagged out. He has called in at least one longbeard every day hes been out.  Killed on opening day, missed on second day, called in and killed on 4th day, called in two for us this past weekend, then punched his last tag there this morning on a gobbler that had 4 hens with him.  Pretty good season if you ask me.  I guess its different for different areas, but he has been covered up in birds!

weave

Here is my GoPro video from Saturday AM in VA.