OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

finally got er done

Started by bmhern, April 18, 2014, 03:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmhern

Got up yesterday morning,I could hardly walk so I thought about not going,but its over here Sunday. I am pretty much a run @ gun hunter since I hunt pine forrests , no fields not many food plots,about the only open areas are the power line right of ways. I set up a blind there a while back so I could take my grandkids. I figured I could sit in a chair ther a while and see if my back would ease off.
So I get there set up my funky chicken and hen,, (I've not used them much cause its too thick almost everywhere)get in the blind. I sit a few minutes then I do some calling. Now I'm 60 yes old and my hearing is not what it used to be.I didnt hear anything, so I waited about 30 minutes and yelped again, I thought I heard a gobble way off , well I must be hearing things about 30 more minutes goes by I call again, this time I'm pretty sure I hear him still a long way off. Normally I would cut out after this guy but I just can't today, I'll just have to wait. I waited a little bit longer and decided something needs to happen cause my back is killing me, so I put my mouth yelper in and get my crystal out cause he is still a long way off. Now I grew up when turkey hunting was yelp 3 times and wait , so I still don't do a lot of calling,but it was time to make it happen, one way or the other. So I started yelping cutting cackleing  and I mean long and loud. I got done laughed at myself and thought  "What would grandaddy think about that) .Well I sat there about 10 minutes and he gobbled right behind me, I just about jumped out ta that chair. I grabbed my gun ,got turned to the side he was coming from, I waited and waited and waited. All of a sudden I heard a racket  I turned and looked,well like they like to do he had circled me and was kicking my funky chickens tail. I had to shoot him to save him,so I gave him a dose of #6 longbeards. So that was a first for me, maybe I'll try those things again someday!!!

He weighed 21 lb.  10" beard. 11/8 spurs

csgrizz

Cool story, hopefully you found someone to lug your bird out for you!

RutnNStrutn

Glad it worked out for you! Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

bmhern

There is a two trail road that goes down the power line, he fell about 15 yards from it.

jordanz7935

great story and a beautiful bird,congrats! Sometimes you just gotta let the birds come to you!

Gooserbat

Good Story, Good Bird. 

I think your grandpa would think it worked.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

SS Calls

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 18, 2014, 03:37:40 PM
Good Story, Good Bird. 

I think your grandpa would think it worked.

x2   :you_rock:

JALA Strut

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

dfresh55

albrubacker

Good story, congrats on a great bird! Hope your back feels better.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Wrangler95

:happy0064:very nice,congrats :TrainWreck1:
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

trackerbucky

I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

boomer

DirtNap647