turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anybody else do this??

Started by jakesdad, April 18, 2014, 02:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakesdad

As much as I hate to "deer hunt" turkeys,i'm beginning to ponder if it may be my strategy for opening morning.Here's the situation.

Our neighbors field always attracts birds.Its about 400 yards long and probably 60 yds at its widest point.The birds tend to prefer the south half of the field which borders our farm(have permission to hunt this field by the way).I've been seeing/hearing birds in this field for the last couple of weeks so we set up to hunt it for youth season.The birds(3 strutters,4 hens,5 jakes)always come out from the same corner +/- 20 yds.We used 2 hens and a jake decoy(1/2 strutter)and while the birds werent scared of the dekes,they just seemed to not want to be close to them,minus the jakes,but thats another story.They also(hens)seemed to lead the birds off when I called any.

So i'm thinking that Monday I am going to sit where they have entered the field every time i've seen them and just let em do their thing.No dekes,no calls and see what happens.If they enter the field elsewhere I may have to adjust for later then use calls and/or the decoys.I'm sure to some this isnt "real" turkey hunting,but i'm all about using what I think will give me the best option of killing a bird.

Anybody else ever employed this strategy or am I "doing it wrong" ;)

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

csgrizz

You are employing your skills of knowing the birds behavior, I don't see anything wrong with it.  I have a similar spot that we used to call the "killin tree" just a corner of a field where they loved to cross and when all else failed I would park my butt right there.

If you have them patterned sometimes introducing a variable may change the pattern, but be prepared to call if they skirt you, etc.

Good luck.

CS

R AJ

One of the most successful tactics is to know the birds habits , where they go, and be ahead of where they are headed and wait. Sounds easy but you should try being behind them when they are headed somewhere and see how that works.

You have done your homework and the less calling in this case the better.

Give a report.

RutnNStrutn

I think it is an excellent plan. I've done it before, and I have no problem at all with others doing it. Personally, it aggravates me when people get all high and mighty, and get down on other hunters for using tactics that they wouldn't use. ::) Best of luck, I hope it works out for you! :icon_thumright:

jordanz7935

Sounds like a good plan to me. One of my best spots is only like 35 acres and i have my blind set up in the very best spot on that 35 acres. For the first week or two of season i normally sit in my blind if im hunting that property.i always use decoys and calling though. Usually a strutter and a hen deke. To me, ill take my chances in the blind because its in their strut zone and run and gunning usually doesn't work on that property and half the time you bump the birds. Id rather be as low impact as possible for the first week or so and get aggressive if i have to. Also its a good way to get use to their patterns and habits so you can adjust your setup if need be. Some of the guys here hate that style of hunting but if you don't have a ton of land to hunt you kind of have to hunt this way to be successful IMO. And here in NY there just aren't the number of birds there use to be so ill take any advantage i can get.

Gooserbat

Sounds like it ought to work.  Bring a butt cushion.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jakesdad

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 18, 2014, 03:39:15 PM
Sounds like it ought to work.  Bring a butt cushion.

I'll do better than that...........Gobbler Lounger.So comfy its almost not fair! :TooFunny:

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

JALA Strut

Sounds like a perfect plan for patterned birds...Looking forward to seeing your success pictures!

bmhern

Sounds like good woodsmanship to me, learning what they are doing setting up accordingly, best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

ilbucksndux

Why would anyone look down on someone that has scouted,knows where the birds are and what they are doing,then using that knowledge to kill one ?
Gary Bartlow

jakesdad

Quote from: ilbucksndux on April 18, 2014, 04:37:07 PM
Why would anyone look down on someone that has scouted,knows where the birds are and what they are doing,then using that knowledge to kill one ?

Because some believe using a blind and/or decoys or not calling in a bird and patterning them instead is not "real" turkey hunting.I'm not a blind or decoy fan myself but will use on occasion if the need arises,such as this.So to answer your question...I have no idea why anyone would do that!

trackerbucky

Park there and wait for them.  Be proud of your woodsmanship and scouting.  Not everyone has the patience for that. 

And report back when it works.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

DirtNap647

Woodsman4God

Several of the best birds i have seen posted on here in the last couple of years were like what you are describing, get ahead of them and wait them out without a sound. many had the same issue, once they made even the quietest of calling the birds turned tail and went the other way. you gotta focus on what works and what doesnt. Thats what hunting is all about.

TnRidgeRunner

Turkey "Hunting"... not turkey calling. The sport is hunting the bird, no matter how you do it. Not a thing wrong with setting up where they are gonna be, just shows you payed attention enough to know where they wanna be. Go get em man!  :anim_25: