turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

nitro pellet counts

Started by blueridgegobbler, April 16, 2014, 09:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueridgegobbler

Has anyone had a significant decrease in their pattern. I have shot them for several years and never any issues. This year the pattern density is just not there. Deep cleaned barrel tried rhino pure gold Indian creek and for 7 bucks a shot its barely any better federal thugs. Barrel cleaned between shots.

meat grinder

:angry9:what she'll you shooting in the Nitros

obro

I shot a 2013 and a 2014 shell side by side . They were about the same . I don't get the numbers they report but pretty close . Overall I'm happy with them . Is there any chance after you deep cleaned your barrel you didn't get all the solvent out . I deep cleaned mine 2 years ago and it was terrible . It finally came around after I had shot it 8-10 times . I put 171 pellets in the ten at 50 yards with 3.5 inch 4x6x7 (2014 load ) . I'm happy with that .

mspaci

I know some loads went from 3 oz  to 2 1/2 oz. Mike

Ridge Rooster

My hunting buddy shoots a Benelli SBE and he has been shooting Nitro's for years. Nitro changed his shells and he dosnt get near the pellet count he did with his old shells. Not sure why they changed, but I also shoot a SBE and I am down to 10 Nitro's and need to order another 25. Going to see if they can duplicate my old shell, there is no need to change I am getting some awesome pellet counts.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

blueridgegobbler

I shoot the h321 in one gun and h517 in another both were down on numbers

Ridge Rooster

I hope they are not fooling with their formulas?? They need not mess with what has got them so popular!

Ridge Rooster

DirtNap647

cant understand why they all think change is better

budtripp

My guess is due to the powder shortages that seem to never go away, they have to use what they can get. That small change can be the culprit.

Huntaholic

Circa 2004 I was working on setting up 3 870s to all shoot the same load. Once I settled on a load, that was done. Or so I thought. Fast forward to a few years ago and the places I was getting my nitro ammo told me the old load I was shooting was no longer available, but this new one is even better. Like an idiot, I took their word for it. I didnt have any problems or misses that I could attribute to ammo, so I hadnt checked the pellet counts until this year. I missed a bird that should have been killed, so I went to the pattern board. My pellet counts were off and not by a little, by a LOT! Im talking 140 pellets off! I emailed nitro last week and received a prompt reply. The lady checked the records and found the info on exactly what load it was that I bought from them in 2004, talked to Ray, and informed me that Ray said he would still custom load that round for me. I called them today and spoke with the same lady that had emailed me and placed my order for a load that hasnt been built in years! Nitro Ammo and the whole nitro staff WILL work with you to make sure you get what shoots best in your gun!

Heller

Huntaholic

Quote from: Heller on April 21, 2014, 05:16:00 PM
$7 a shot! Wow!
Little over 8 if you count shipping. Yes, its expensive, but how many times do you shoot in a season? Id be willing to bet that your gas and coffee each morning is more than 8 bucks.
  I thought it was high too until I started putting the components together to load my own. Cheapest I could find was $ 282 for a 7 lb bottle of hevi shot. Thats 49.7 shells at 2.25oz. Then the cost of hulls, powder, wads, buffer and primers, and I decided to keep buying from nitro!

blueridgegobbler

Thanks huntaholic k will give them a call

Ridge Rooster

Nitro ammunition is well worth the price considering all the other money spent on turkey hunting each spring. If you want the best load you can buy for your gun then buy the Nitro's, and the recommended choke. It will probably actually save you money in experimentation cost of trying different chokes and shells.

The next batch of shells I buy, I will contact them and make sure that I get the same formula that I have now. I am getting over 300 consistent pellet count in a 10" at 40, and that far exceeds anything else I have tried.

Ridge Rooster