OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Does cold hamper gobbling?

Started by Lee Lobbestael, April 16, 2014, 04:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lee Lobbestael

Does cold weather kinda stifle gobbling activity? It was fifteen degrees here in Michigan this morning and I only heard one gobble. I only was out side for a two or three minutes getting into my truck but still I usually hear more that time of morning.

AL trout bum

"I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to." - Tom Kelly

Trumpetyelper

Where I hunt it does.  The birds gobble much less during cold weather.

DirtNap647

Quote from: Trumpetyelper on April 16, 2014, 05:19:16 PM
Where I hunt it does.  The birds gobble much less during cold weather.

Same here

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Cold, crisp and sunny mornings will be the best gobbling  of your life. From Wyoming to Georgia to Virginia to New York ill take 37 degrees and sunny at daybreak over 60 degrees all day, everyday.

Cold and rain/wind will shut em down faster than the GOP did the Federal government!

BigAL64

It was 26 here in Missouri and sunny yesterday and the gobbling was unbelievable!! Best I have heard all spring they were gobbling at the sound of my garage door yesterday morning.
Shoot em in the face

alclark2

I thought this in the past. I don't any more. Cool calm sunny is where it's at. Wind and rain shut it down IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

jblackburn

Quote from: alclark2 on April 16, 2014, 07:27:30 PM
I thought this in the past. I don't any more. Cool calm sunny is where it's at. Wind and rain shut it down IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, but it was windy and raining on yesterday here in WA and they were gobbling their heads off where I was, but a buddy only heard 1 gobbler.  I was hunting a deep canyon and it was only a little breeze blowing.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

stinkpickle

Quote from: BigAL64 on April 16, 2014, 07:05:20 PM
It was 26 here in Missouri and sunny yesterday and the gobbling was unbelievable!! Best I have heard all spring they were gobbling at the sound of my garage door yesterday morning.

Southern Iowa was like that yesterday, too.  Cold, but clear with no wind.  After the weather we had Monday, I gobbled a couple of times myself.  :)

Tail Feathers

I knew cold and wet would, and based on the last two mornings, cold will too.

At least it seems based on limited evidence, a sudden onset of cold weather will.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Lee Lobbestael

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 16, 2014, 06:24:23 PM
Cold, crisp and sunny mornings will be the best gobbling  of your life. From Wyoming to Georgia to Virginia to New York ill take 37 degrees and sunny at daybreak over 60 degrees all day, everyday.

Yes but it was 15 degrees not 37.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Lee Lobbestael on April 16, 2014, 09:15:34 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on April 16, 2014, 06:24:23 PM

Yes but it was 15 degrees not 37.

It was 27 here in Virginia this morning..... And they gobbled well ;)

twyoung0

That's impressive if you heard any from your house within just 2 or 3 minutes!!!

Lee Lobbestael

Quote from: twyoung0 on April 17, 2014, 09:14:01 AM
That's impressive if you heard any from your house within just 2 or 3 minutes!!!
Your right but they are usually going off almost constantly and I haven't been hearing any in the evening from the roost. I'm wondering if they just aren't to hot and fired up yet

turkey john

Some of the biggest gobblers I've taken were mornings I scraped ice off of the windshield. With that said I have noticed that the further South you go they are a little slower on cold mornings until the sun comes up.... Rain does slow them down but I killed a huge tom that was gobbling at the thunder/lightning one morning in Va. He came right on into the call. ..I was actually laying down when I shot him. I was afraid of getting struck by lightning.  :OGturkeyhead: