turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Turkey Thugs Shoot ......

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 16, 2011, 09:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

I've started watching the new Turkey Thugs show sponsored by Mossy Oak. It's a good show and they have some serious professional turkey hunters on there every week. The show has a sort of teaching theme to it where they ask the experts questions about turkey hunting and they all answer the question in turn. Pretty good stuff usually. This weeks show ask a question about shot size for turkey hunting. Every pro on the show answered the same thing:

5 shot

Thoughts?

FANMAN

I agree with em...I shot 5's when I shot lead...switched to 6's when I went to HTL.
Lead 5's hit em hard as does the HTL 6's

bad0351

My thoughts are....they are correct sir!!
I feel these birds are tough and anything smaller than #6s borders on hunter ethics
Sometimes...all a man has left is his dog.....

shootumindaface

Albeit I respect every one of them guys hunting abilities except one.. The answer to your question, they are all old school killers..

drum817

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 16, 2011, 09:16:31 AM
Albeit I respect every one of them guys hunting abilities.. The answer to your question, they are all old school killers..

:agreed: :agreed:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

hookedspur

Does their sponsors have anything to do with what they say they are using ?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Nimrodmar10

I doubt it. Mossy Oak makes clothes not shotgun shells.

Reloader

Quotethey are all old school killers..

Yep.  There's still alot of old school hunters that swear by lead #4s as well.  Many of them rarely pattern their guns, they just go kill turkeys.

sugarray

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 16, 2011, 09:16:31 AM
Albeit I respect every one of them guys hunting abilities except one.. The answer to your question, they are all old school killers..

Just a little research and understanding of basic physics and the properties of energy and penetration makes this statement
Quote from: bad0351 on March 16, 2011, 09:15:21 AM
I feel these birds are tough and anything smaller than #6s borders on hunter ethics
absolutely ridiculous.

You just have to think of Ping Pong  ball (lead #5) vs a kids 1/2" rubber bouncy ball (HTL #7 or #8)   Which hurts more when it hits you?  Same principle when thinking of shot.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteYes, lead 5s were and are a great choice for killing turkeys.

70% of their audience still uses Lead, and won't pay for HTL.

The 30% who have already moved on to HTL, probably don't need their ammo advice anyway.

knightrider

thats the great thing about ethics everyone who has a brain has different ethical standards :begging:

stinkpickle

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 16, 2011, 10:04:29 AM

The 30% who have already moved on to HTL, probably don't need their ammo advice anyway.

Agreed...the ratio might be closer to 90/10.

I wouldn't expect any "pro" to recommend the #7 1/2's lead rounds I've been using.  Well....maybe Ray Eye...but not on TV.   :D

buck_hunter21

Quote from: 3" 870 Shell Shucker on March 16, 2011, 10:04:29 AM

:z-winnersmiley:
Spill Blood

bbcoach

If you guys want to read what the HTL crowd here on OG is up against, you need to go to, Outdoor Life.com ASK A QUESTION section, and read the answers to BIG RED C'S question for a dedicated 12 or 20 guage gun that will kill turkeys to 50+ yards.  These guys, that give Big Red answers, believe you shouldn't shoot a turkey unless he is inside 30 yards.

With the technology we have with Today's Guns, Chokes and HTL shotshells, these guys are lost in the Stone Age.
Maybe we need to return to being Cavemen and bludgeon the birds to death, after we run them down.  LOL

We need to continue educating our fellow hunters on Today's technology and the limitations of HTL.

I want to Thank each one of you for the shared information you have put out on this website to educate the benefits of HTL.  WHICH BY THE WAY INCLUDES ME!!!!

Gobble!

how foolish but I will leave it at that.