OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

best slate call?

Started by Hitman 23, April 15, 2014, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hitman 23

Who is making the best slate call . thanks

scoot12

There isn't such a thing because everyones ear for what they want to hear is different but some good ones in my opinion are Lonnie Sneeds hot hen slate,  Paul Platz maple or cherry slate,  Dave Tyrees padauk sassy slate and Clint Corders jatoba slate.  Scoot

outdoors

:agreed:  I MAID ONE AND TOOK TO CAMP AND ASK THREE OF MY FRIENDS TO PLAY THAE CALL THE WAY U NORMALLY DO AND ALL THREE LIKE IT ONE SAID , SOUNDED GREAT , BUT TO ME I THOGHT IT WASN'T JUST RIGHT IT DIDNT SOUND LIKE WHAT  I WANTED IT TO SOUND LIKE .....
I KNOW WHAT I WANT IT TO SOUND LIKE ,,,, JUST CAN'T MAKE IT ,,,   :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

MikeStaten

What sound are you looking for?  Pitch, raspiness etc..?

I personally like Tom Teaser and Lonnie Snead's slates.  They both sound different from each other though. 

REBELYELL

Clint Corder just placed first in the slate category at the NWTF competition with his Zebrawood slate, so I would say he makes a good one. Paul Platz and Jimmy Schaffer also make some good ones. There are several others as well.

ky turkey hunter

hunter22

I have around 100 slate calls and the first one out of my vest is my 3-inch Lonnie Sneed Hot Hen. But it is a special call. Lonnie has tried to get me to send it back to him to see if he can duplicate it's sound. I told him I am afraid the mail might loose it. Lots of gobblers have died because of it.

longbeard11

Without a doubt the best slate call I have ever run is the Hot Hen Slate by Mr. Lonnie Sneed!!  About to put it to work on Friday and Saturday on some ol love sick VA gobblers

bamagtrdude

For me, it's a Billy White Raspy Slate; it nails an eastern hen.  I recently had another forum member repair my original call (Thanks Bill!!), and dude, it'll make 'em hammer.  I like slate over glass in a walnut pot, personally -- for eastern turkeys.  Just my humble opinion.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

scoot12

I forgot about Billy White,  I have his zebrawood raspy slate and its a great sounding slate.  Scoot

Hitman 23

Does billy white still make calls

scoot12

He did as far as a few months ago,  I also love his hustlin hen box call.  Scoot

captin_hook

There are plenty of great calls and call makers out there, but my favorite slate that I've ran is lonnie sneeds hot hen slate.

bamagtrdude

On a whim, I was in Academy Sporting Goods a couple years ago, and noticed a Maestro slate call; it's Paul Butski's signature model, I guess -- http://www.opticsplanet.com/maestro-butski-series-the-composer-slate-friction-turkey-call.html ...  I think it was somewhere in the range of $30 @ Academy, so I was like, what the heck...

I liked it; was easy to work, and sounded pretty good; not better than the Billy White slate I already had, but "good"; I wasn't wild about the striker they shipped with it, so I used one of my old Primos hickory strikers and was like - OH YA!  That call & striker now is in the hands of one of my good buddy's, and he said yesterday he had 3 gobblers hammerin' to it, so ...  Yet another "commercial" option...
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

goblr77

The best sounding slate call I own is a Paul Platz cherry pot. I have a bunch of others that sound really good but that one is a cut above the rest.