Main Menu

Do you think

Started by Bama turkey hunter, April 15, 2014, 08:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bama turkey hunter

Does decoys spook turkeys
Tony

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

memert116

depends on the turkeys mood

RutnNStrutn

I hunt with decoys on a regular basis. I have had much more luck using them, than I have had bad experiences using them.

Sent from my 1950's rotary phone using Tapatalk

DirtNap647

TnRidgeRunner

You can never judge when they will or when they won't when it comes to decoy's. Placement is the key, put em behind you and they will never get the chance to get a good look,but then again that depends on the situation. I use them when I think the situation might be beneficial...but I don't think it's a necessary part of your every day set. Just my opinion, we'll see what everyone elsethinks O0

Bigspurs68

Some birds are put off by decoys. Lots of reasons, no reason... they are turkeys after all. I agree that there are times that decs are great but not usually necessary. Just depends on your style of hunting and the type of terrain you are in. I think if it's a natural set up, 9 times out of ten..he won't spook.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

steinea286

I would say that I have had gobblers shy from full strut decoys many of times, but I have also had times that they have wanted to kill it at 10 yards! I typically use a decoy during my early morning set ups, or if im trying to get ahead of a turkey. If I'm runnin and gunnin' (esp in hardwoods) I won't even set one up once I get a bird going!

TrackeySauresRex

Yes. Sometimes they have for me. I rarely use them any more.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Gooserbat

Depends on the bird and it's mood.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

bamagtrdude

I've yet to see them actually "spook" a bird; but, hang a bird up - yes.  I had to shoot a gobbler just this year that wouldn't come into my jake-hen decoys; fortunately for me (unfortunate for him), I was just over a ridge, so where he hung up was in gun range & I let the Stoeger eat!

But, he definitely stopped, and didn't want to "challenge" the jake; turned out, he was a 2 y.o. bird...  People knock the Funky Chicken decoy - but, I wonder sometimes if a smaller jake decoy might make even subordinate birds want to come on in & whoop some tail.
---
Bama Guitar Dude (bamagtrdude)

guesswho

Quote from: Bigspurs68 on April 15, 2014, 11:35:13 PM
I think if it's a natural set up, 9 times out of ten..he won't spook.
I understand what your saying and not disputing your statement.  But I've never seen a natural looking, acting set up that had decoys.   They all look like time standing still to me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

hunter-b

I Agree with everthing said so fare .

jblackburn

Yes they do!

No they don't!

I've had them bum rush a jake decoy and beat the tar out of it and I have some turn and run.

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Bigspurs68

I just mean natural as in not leaning over or spinning like crazy on the stake. I usually put the quarter strut jake over a hen on a short stake. Looks pretty good. I do agree, fake turkeys on sticks don't look natural to me but I try to make them seem presentable to other turkeys. If longbeards evaluated decs like we do, we'd never kill one near them. Lol
Momma said "Kill that turkey"