News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Virginia rain bird.

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, April 15, 2014, 05:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

4-15-14
This morning turned out to be a good one even though the rain was pretty heavy at times. I set up on a field and actually sat in a blind (can't stand hunting out of them), but with the forecast calling for heavy rains I chose to stay dry. Well the weather man was correct and the rains came soon after first light, it actually got so bad I zipped up all the windows and sat there wondering what I was doing. A little after 9:00 the skies started to get brighter and the rain slowed a bit to where I gave out a few soft calls on the trumpet and gobbled on the haint to sound like some turkeys in the field. After about 5 minutes a hen came to the edge of the field and checked out my DSD hen and jake. As I was reaching for my gun incase she had company I looked back in her direction and the gobbler was running straight towards my jake in half strut. He made it to the decoy and began to beat up on him. I was able to get my gun out the window and had to wait for him to stop the beat down so I wouldn't shoot my decoy, he eventually stretched his neck up high and was ready to start pecking again and I let loose. He never flopped, Longbeard 3 1/2 #6's at 25 yards is pretty devastating!!!

20 1/2 lbs, 10 1/2 inch beard, inch spurs

[/url][/URL]/url]
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z429/booth21/1514611_10102841071193032_3018893953334496343_n.jpg[/img]]/url]

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

captin_hook

darn2ten

Congrats on the bird! I'm with you on the blind thing, don't like hunting out of them at all.

tomstopper

cuppednlocked

Dry is a good thing.  Congrats.

DirtNap647

vaturkey

Congrats ! Great Gobbler !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

beagler

Never Misses

steveo

Way to go!!!  Blinds are nice when the sky's open up, funny now I look back to when younger and would sit in a downpour. Now the pop up is in the truck for the days they call for rain... Guess i may be smarter or have gone soft but hey dry is nice and they work!, congrats on the bird he is a nice one.

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

shark

slamman

JVA54

gobbler777

Yup ... no need to get wet. Congrats.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland