OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What gun do you guys recommend?

Started by northms, April 15, 2014, 03:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northms

I'm looking to get a "new" shotgun this summer headed into next fall that I can duck and turkey hunt with.  Don't have enough money to get one for each.  After selling my current gun I think I'll have in the $500-600 range for a new rig.  Whether it's buying a used or new gun that will be my price range either way.

Also I'm probably looking for a 26" barrel to have a happy medium between ducks and turkeys along with a camo finish.

Regardless, do you guys have any suggestions in that price range? I've looked into Rem. 870 and Benelli Nova Pump.  Gunsmith has talked to me about upping my budget to buy the new Beretta model they came out with last year that's abut $750.

Thoughts? Thanks.

CrustyRusty

Mossberg 935 will cover anything you could ever use a shotgun for.  It's as bit more than your limit, but not by much.  They don't have the fit and finish other guns have, but it is an excellent tool for hunting.

Gooserbat

Just get an 870 supermag and be done with it.  Steel receiver, choke options galore, aftermarket parts list that dosen't end and they also will work for walking sticks, boat paddles, and door stops. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mossyoakpro

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 15, 2014, 05:00:05 PM
Just get an 870 supermag and be done with it.  Steel receiver, choke options galore, aftermarket parts list that dosen't end and they also will work for walking sticks, boat paddles, and door stops.

True statement here....funny but true :-)

Sent from my I finally found a dumb one device.

Phillippians 4:13

captin_hook

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 15, 2014, 05:00:05 PM

Well put!   :icon_thumright:

Remington makes a 870 supermag in bottomland camo. with a 26" barrel that would do perfect for what you want.You can get it at budsgunshop.com for 490.00 new free shipping.I just bought one.

Huntaholic

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hunter-b

Same as suggested above but I like an auto for ducks .

Bigspurs68

Momma said "Kill that turkey"

the Ward

Lot of good new and used guns in your price range. I'd try to find a well stocked gunshop and start handling a few. I would keep a some features in mind such as being factory drilled and tapped in case you want to add an optic down the road. Save a little more and it opens the window to some pretty good value auto loader. Lot of good suggestions for you so far. For a combo turkey/waterfowl gun in that range I would suggest a pump gun, 3 or 3.5 browning bps stalker. You get a backbored barrel, easy to find invector plus chokes, top tang safety with bottom eject(handy feature in a blind) and some models come drilled and tapped for optics. Very reliable and tough gun. I would get a black one and have it dipped at a later date when it starts looking worn, or use a mossy oak gun graphic kit for $22 on it. Good luck in your quest I hope you find the one you like! Always fun shopping for a new gun!

tomstopper

TJK68

Another vote for the 870 SM, I have the Bottomland camo 26" barrel and love it, great shooter. Buy what ever feels best to you though. Good luck!

drum817

I like 870's a lot too...but here's a different suggestion.  Weatherby SA-08 it's a 3" autoloader built in turkey (same as the Winchester SX2 was).  I got one last year for ducks and crows and it has performed flawlessly with light loads and heavy loads too & Weatherby backs the gun with a lifetime warranty.  It's threaded with the invector/win choke system.  Also has a chrome lined barrel and a nice slim for end.   I've owned Beretta, Benelli, Winchester & Mossberg (all great guns too) but this SA-08 holds it's own with ANY of them.  It's offered in wood, black syn & a waterfowler camo edition too.....I would suggest you go handle one and see what ya think...Best of luck!
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

learn2hide

Pump 870 or Nova-automatic Super X2 used or X3 if you can up your budget a bit....I know some guys that like their Stoeger 3500s in that price range
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!