OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Surface For A Pot Call

Started by bigdoc, April 15, 2014, 01:24:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdoc

I use a mouth call most of the time but a pot call some.What surface pot call do yall think makes the best sounding yelps, and what maker, Thanks

scoot12

You are going to get a ton of answers here but glass or crystal is my favorite surface.  To me its yelps and clucks are a little sharper then a slate call but can be toned down nicely.  Slate is best for soft calling and aluminum really cuts through the wind for loud calling.  There are so many good callmakers out there and I will name a few of my favorites.  Jimmy Schaffer,  Darrin Dawkins,  Paul Platz, Dave Tyree and Scott Hembrook.  For store bought calls I might get flamed here but Woodhavens pots sound very good.  Find a call you love the sound of and can run with ease and you are in business.  Scoot

Turkey Trot

There is no undisputed, pure "best" in pot calls any more than mouthcalls.  It's subjective to the users and to the turkeys.  A lot depends on how well one can run a call and what the turkeys want to hear on any given day. 

It's not a bad idea to have a small arsenal to provide different sounds.  I have slate (more than one), glass (more than one type), aluminum, ceramic, and copper.  You don't have to buy them all at one time.  I'd start with a good slate from a good maker like Lonzo's and then get a glass, then proceed to others.  Then, the type of striker is another variable.  I probably have 15 that I will rotate, knowing that some 2-3 of them sound better on X call to me than the others. 

Some I know can't run a ceramic and have no use for them and question why anyone ever would.  On Saturday, I was happy to have a ceramic pot to use, because it was the one that got him to gobble his head off when the others and two box calls did not.  Some days, the old style sanded heavy duty glass gets them talking, others they respond better to the bronzed glass pot.  I believe you can see the point.     
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

jakesdad

For overall best sound I prefer slate.I carry a Hot Hen slate,homemade slate over glass,and a titanium call from Pappy.Each has their place for use,but I would say I use slate 80%+ of the time.I've also found it cheaper and easier to try lots of different striker types with different surfaces.What may sound horrible on one sounds golden on another.Lots of times its striker types not playing surfaces that make a huge difference in sound.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

longbeard11

I have a hot hen slate call from Mr. Lonnie Sneed that I think is the overall best call I have ever used. And I wasnt really a slate fan before, but this call is sweet. 

My other favorite pot call that I have is a ceramic surface.  Most versitile call I carry in my vest and I love it!

30_06

I'm partial to Slate. Lots of good pot call makers, I like A+J for a custom and Cody's for commercial calls.

Gooserbat

Call surface is like pie.  Everyone has a favorite but they're all good.  Personally I like strawberry-rhubarb, I mean slate.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

870FaceLift

I like slate, too.  That is if we're talking fair weather conditions.  I like aluminum and glass if it is windy/rainy and the sound needs to carry.
Pass it on...

redarrow

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 15, 2014, 02:40:32 PM
Call surface is like pie.  Everyone has a favorite but they're all good.  Personally I like strawberry-rhubarb, I mean slate.

Knight and Hale Slatek surface . For lunch a big ol slab of pecan pie.

mattbrooks

Quote from: redarrow on April 15, 2014, 02:53:43 PM

Knight and Hale Slatek surface . For lunch a big ol slab of pecan pie.

X2

ridgerunner

Quote from: jakesdad on April 15, 2014, 02:09:38 PM
For overall best sound I prefer slate.I carry a Hot Hen slate,homemade slate over glass,and a titanium call from Pappy.Each has their place for use,but I would say I use slate 80%+ of the time.I've also found it cheaper and easier to try lots of different striker types with different surfaces.What may sound horrible on one sounds golden on another.Lots of times its striker types not playing surfaces that make a huge difference in sound.

X2 Slate can't be beat in my opinion.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

bmhern

I have slate ,crystal,copper, and aluminum and they all sound a little different, but if I could only have one, I would have to go with the slate. Sounds great, can call soft or if need you can get loud, and easy to run.

letinmfly

Crystal has become my favorite surface over the passed few years.
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

number1wrench

If I only had one it would be glass because the wind always blows in South Dakota, it's just a matter of which direction. Also don't have to worry about wet with carbon striker. Slate is a beautiful finisher because you can purr and soft yelp very easily. They all work, some look nicer, some sweeter, some outrageous. Turkeys seem to have preference by hour and day. Have a great safe spring hunt.