OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington rust problem ?

Started by BowBendr, April 14, 2014, 11:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BowBendr

Got a new 870 youth gun back in the winter and got it all set up for this spring. It's the matte black/synthetic model. This gun will rust before your very eyes ! I've tried everything I know to do. I tried outers brand oil, rem oil and even wonder-lube from my muzzleloader bag. I even read on another forum that a guy used vaseline. Is my only choice to have the gun cera-koted or dipped ? Any suggestions ?

wibirdhunter

Maybe try fluid film.

I put a thin coat on my Weatherby vanguard after cleaning off a small amount of surface rust. I put it away wet after hunting and no rust developed like it had previously. Before hunting with my wingmaster again I'm going to fluid film any spots that have rusted in the past. Them expresses do love to rust though.

I believe most John deere dealers carry it.

msgobblergetter

The rem matte finish is so porous, it has a tendency to hold and almost soak up moisture like a sponge. I got mine dipped and never had issue again.... Great gun, but factory finish matte has always lacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyRusty

Remington express finish is not up to standards.  It has been a blemish on their reputation.  Sadly people trash remmy because of stuff like this but the guns function fine.  If it were mine, I would have it refinished and not worry about it again.  Cerakote or duracoat is good stuff.

mikejd

Same here. I have had that gun for about 20 yrs and there is not much you can do about it.
its a joke amongst my family the gun has been nicknamed the rust bucket.
sometimes I think it rusts while I am oiling it.

CntrlPA

I had the same issue with a youth 20 I bought last year. I sent it back to Remington to be reblued. Seems better but I'll find out once our season comes in.

goblr77

The only way to stop it is to wipe the gun down with rem oil or something similar after every hunting trip and keep it away from all moisture. Do not store these guns in a gun case or safe. They need to be somewhere that doesn't trap any moisture. I remedied the situation on my two by having one cerakoted and the other dipped.

WV TURKEY THUG

mightyjoeyoung

I don't have an issue with my plain black parkerized 870 youth.  Find a good PENETRATING  oil or silicone spray lube (I use a silicone spray). It gets into the pores of the black coating and not only stops, but prevents rust. It also gets used A LOT in the goose blind and has seen more use and harsh conditions than prob 95% of member's guns on here.  Not one issue with rust.  It gets wiped down every time it gets wet though...you HAVE TO with remmys.
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Canteathorns

Sounds goofy . But rust-oleum spray paint works great  and it's cheap . I've been doing it for years .

RS

I've got an 11-87 SP that has a similar problem. I can hardly keep it from rusting every time I shoot it. I bought it used on 2005 and I'm not sure when it was made.  My 870 express I bought in the mid 90s does not have the same problem. I've never had a problem with it rusting.  A coworker has suggested painting the 11-87.  He painted his several years ago for that very reason and it has worked well since then, but it doesn't get a whole lot of use.

chipper

About all you can do is paint it or have it dipped. I have a friend who duck hunts with a express synthetic, at the end of duck season he threw it in the tool box of his truck and left it till August when we were fishing at the lake one afternoon and he pulled it out, it was red with rust, I side mikey you have ruined that gun, he said now, I'll sand it down and paint it O.D. green. He oiled it up , wet sanded it wiped it down with acetone  painted it and hunted all fall with it without a hiccup.

Juan Gonzales

I use the break free lubricant, rub the gun down with the lube and then I'll wipe it down and I never have a problem. The parkerized finish rust pretty easy but this has helped me, and if it gets wet I'll let it air dry at room temp before I put it away in the safe and that helps as we'll.

Deputy 14

Hose it down with oil and stand it up in the corner for a while to allow the oil to get into all the crevices, this helps a bunch. The best fix aside from dip or paint is Froglube, stuff is magic.

Gooserbat

I have an old supermag 870 that used to do the same thing I think that after years of infusion of 3in1 oil it finally got more oil in the pores than moisture.  I'm with Deputy soak it in oil (I like 3in1 ) and stand it in a corner.  whipe it down from time to time and it will get over most of it sooner or later. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.