OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Good end to a bad day

Started by sbraham, April 14, 2014, 02:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbraham

This past saturday morning, we had to put down my old lab and best duck/dove hunting partner, Susie. Arthritis began attacking her at age 4 and had to stop hunting her because a day in the blind/field meant 3 to 4 days of crippling pain. Recently the cancer took her old body for a bad ride. She turned 13 last October. I trained her myself using a book called Water Dog. Her first dove hunt was at 10 months old where she picked up 15 birds. Her first duck hunt was at 14 months old where she retrieved 11 ducks. Needless to say, saturday morning was horrible for my family. After the proper burial and sobbing by a grown man (me), i went to feed my weinling calves only to find they had somehow opened the gate and were out. Had a small rodeo gathering them back but did get it done and needed to hit the turkey woods for therapy. Great afternoon with my Dad because we found a couple of gobblers who wanted to play. A tennessee turkey double with my dad certainly did clean out some sadness and move in some gladness. Trying posting picture of me and Susie on her 13th birthday. The picture of our double is to big to download. My bird had 10 1/2" beard 1" spurs. Dads bird had 10" beard with 1 1/4" spurs. The Lord has blessed me beyond measur

sbraham

Here is the picture of mine and dads doubles

JALA Strut

Sorry about the loss of your dog.  They truly are part of the family and I remember how it bothered me when we had to put ours down.  Glad your day turned out better...Congrats on the double...Nice birds!

turkey harvester

Nice job on the birds, I feel your pain friend. I just lost my most faithful beagle, Suzy, to cancer. hardest thing I ever had to do but she wont suffer anymore.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

longbeard11

Love it!!! Double with dad makes up for alot of that!!  Congrats!!

Be praying for you in the loss of your dog, and friend! I know how that goes, its rough! hang in there brother!

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

JVA54

captin_hook

Sorry to hear about your lab. They truly are a member of ones family. I dread the day when I have to put mine down. Congrats on the birds though.

DirtNap647

Sorry about your dog congrats on the turkeys

slamman

nice double on the turkey that is a terrible deal having to put down your dog, I call it the ultimate betrayal. 

bmhern

Congrats on the hunt with your dad,nice birds. Sorry for your loss.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

RutnNStrutn

Sorry about the loss of your pup. Dogs are a valuable member of the family, and it breaks your heart when they go. But I'm glad you were able to turn the day around, and double up with your pop!! :icon_thumright:

boomer

Sorry for your loss and Congrats on the birds.

The Cohutta Strutter

It's awesome how the good Lord can still put a silver lining into a sad situation.Truly amazing and thank you for sharing that!
Anybody seen America lately?