turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 barrel nut gets loose

Started by econo, April 13, 2014, 06:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

I have noticed that every time I shoot my 870 the barrel nut gets about a half turn loose. Anybody else have this problem? Also will this change my poi on the 2nd shot with a loose nut? Is there a way to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance.
May God bless you all

allaboutshooting

Quote from: econo on April 13, 2014, 06:04:30 PM
I have noticed that every time I shoot my 870 the barrel nut gets about a half turn loose. Anybody else have this problem? Also will this change my poi on the 2nd shot with a loose nut? Is there a way to fix this problem?
Thanks in advance.

The magazine cap is all that holds your 870 barrel in the receiver. If it is not at the same torque each shot is likely to have a different point of impact and if your barrel is loose in the receiver, it can cause your shot to scatter. It's very difficult to get good patterns with a loose magazine cap.

I recommend that after you clean the bore and install the barrel, tighten the cap as tight as you can by hand and then, using some padded pliers, tighten it 3 more clicks. Then mark both the cap and barrel band in some manner, red nail polish works well, and in that way you can always see that it's in the same spot.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

econo

My 870 does not make the clicking sound. My Mossberg does, but the 870 is not designed to make the clicking sound. Which I think is part of the problem. The Mossberg barrel never gets loose. The 870 lacks that ratcheting feel you get when tightening the barrel nut.
May God bless you all

Deputy 14

The 870 should have a detent ball on the barrel ring that makes the "ratcheting sound". Look at your mag tube cap and make sure the dimples aren't worn out on the cap, if they're worn replace it. Also check the detent ball. Make sure it is functioning properly. It has a spring underneath it and should push in and rebound.

CrustyRusty

Not all 870's have the detent. You just gotta tighten that thing like Clark said

learn2hide

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

the Ward

Is it an express model? The express uses a serrated  plug that fits in the end of the magazine tube that engages notches inside the mag cap. Check to see if the mag cap has these notches inside. If not it has the wrong cap. Also check that the serrated plug is properly installed in the slots in the end of the mag tube and isn't turning.

econo

Yes Ward, you are correct it is the express model. I looked at everthing last night that you mentioned. All looks good, but the cap still does not have that ratcheting sound or feel. Any other idea's?
May God bless you all

mike3132

Easy fix is to put a couple rounds of teflon pipe tape around the threads, tighten up the cap and it will stay until you take it off.

SKFOOTER

Quote from: mike3132 on April 15, 2014, 02:47:09 PM
Easy fix is to put a couple rounds of teflon pipe tape around the threads, tighten up the cap and it will stay until you take it off.
You beat me to it. :OGturkeyhead:

Huntaholic

DO you have a sling swivel stud in the end of the cap? If so, look on the inside and see if the nut on the end of the stud is pushing down on the magazine cap. I would bet dollars to donuts thats why you dont have the clicking sound. Doesnt really matter, tighten it down like described above and mark it.

Charley B

Quote from: Huntaholic on April 15, 2014, 05:56:23 PM
DO you have a sling swivel stud in the end of the cap? If so, look on the inside and see if the nut on the end of the stud is pushing down on the magazine cap. I would bet dollars to donuts thats why you dont have the clicking sound. Doesnt really matter, tighten it down like described above and mark it.
+1 mine did the click sound, then I put that sling swivel stud on the cap, and no more click ;)

econo

Quote from: Huntaholic on April 15, 2014, 05:56:23 PM

You da Man, That's exactly what it was. Thanks so much for your insight!!!!!!
May God bless you all

the Ward

Cool Deal! Never thought about the sling stud screw keeping the ratchet mechanism from contacting the serrations inside the cap! That's what makes O.G. the best place to be, learning  new stuff from  members who are kind enough to share their knowledge with others!   :you_rock: