turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ammo combo wht to do what to do!!!

Started by yz360, March 15, 2011, 10:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yz360

i have a moss. 500 i have a xtra-full choke from mossberg... what ammo should i pattern it with.. what have you guys had good luck with.. is it a decent choke for a kid on a budget

yz360

BrowningGuy88

I would pattern it with the x-full you have. Get some Winchester XX Supreme 3" #6 1 3/4 ounce shells to try. It may only be good to 35-40 yards, but that is plenty good enough. Don't get discouraged about the numbers game. 100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10" circle will kill turkeys all day long.

Daman

shootumindaface

I had killing patterns with that choke and the above mentioned load which is actually 2oz.. The HV is 1 3/4

BrowningGuy88

Thanks Shootum, I am shooting HV not XX.

yz360, you just gotta put it on paper to see what it will do to really know.

Daman

swampy

I would recomend h-13 7's but the from my bad experience's they are not patterning as good as the older shell's you can prolly get the same number's as the new hevi 7's which are still at the top of the pack iwth the federal heavy 7's since your choke is unported. One Federal 7 weighs more than one hevi-13 seven so it's got that going for it to.
CLUCK, YELP, BOOM.

stinkpickle

I killed my first bird with that combo and a red shell Winchester (either a 3-2-6 or 3-1 7/8-6...I can't remember...whatever came in those Trebark 10-packs back in the '80's).  BUT...back then, I "patterned" them by shooting a piece of paper at 30 strides, and if the middle of the pattern hit where I was aiming, it was good to go.   :)

WildSpur

Pretty certain you TreBark boxes were 1 7/8 oz for the 3".

When I had my 500 with the 24" tube, it really like anything Federal.

Cluck more, yelp less

bowhunter84

Quote from: Daman on March 17, 2011, 05:54:54 PM
I would pattern it with the x-full you have. Get some Winchester XX Supreme 3" #6 1 3/4 ounce shells to try. It may only be good to 35-40 yards, but that is plenty good enough. Don't get discouraged about the numbers game. 100 evenly spaced pellets in a 10" circle will kill turkeys all day long.

Daman
:agreed:

thats exactly what i started out with

yz360

thanks guys gota take a trip to wally world lol so im gona try the winchester #6s first and maybe the h-7 if they have them there

what would be a good choke to get for the mossy next time u upgrade