turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

youth turkey load question

Started by Bowhnt, April 13, 2014, 11:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowhnt

i did some research and found a few answers but wanted to gather some more info. I will be hunting with a small frame youth this year and i dont feel comfortable letting him shoot a turkey load.  what is the best option for a small youth.
Remington nitro handicap trap load 7 1/2 shot or a federal 6 shot upland load.

I really want to keep the recoil down.  Less is definately better.  Limited to 25 yards or so...

SinGin

A friends son used the fed 6 on a kansas bird with great results. Just keep the shots close.

slamman

I made the mistake (actually I was not thinking ahead) of letting a youth use my 12ga. with 3" turkey loads and the results were less then desirable.  Once the tears cleared and a little coaxing I switched him to a 20 ga. with 2-3/4" turkey loads with much better results and no tears.

Bowhnt

Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm thinking the handicap nitro load will be the lighter of the two. Would this in a 7.5 be good to 25 or 30 yards. 

jblackburn

Quote from: Bowhnt on April 13, 2014, 12:35:35 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.  I'm thinking the handicap nitro load will be the lighter of the two. Would this in a 7.5 be good to 25 or 30 yards.

From my experience, patterns are usually pretty good with light loads and a good choke at that range, but I might question the energy at 30.  Someone else will need to comment on that.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

remmy1187

The 7.5's will be fine out to about 30-35 yards depending on the pattern density.  You will have no problem between 25-30.