turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my best bama national forest bird ever.

Started by hootn, April 12, 2014, 08:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hootn

this morning at about 10 minutes to 8 i killed my best bird ever to come off the forest.
21 pounds, 10 inch beard and 1 5/16 inch spurs.

was not the bird i set up on yesterday morning or this morning. this bird i think saw me or heard me. he shut up at 0605 but did gobble 1 more time on the ground around 0645, did have him close enough to here him drumming. same bird i fooled with opening day. he left and gobbled a couple time to say good bye....
i had heard a bird gobble about 3 or 4 times on another ridge about 400 yards away(of course). so i head towards where i heard him. as i am climbing the ridge i hear him gobbled 5 or 6 times by his self. get on top of the ridge and head closer. i figurard i amd about 150 yards from him and find a real nice spot to set up. big pines, good and open. i yelp nothing hit the box he gobbled, wait 5 minutes box again he gobbles.
15 minutes or so later i aint heard a thing, i yelp with slate then box nothing. i am think i might have to move closer to where he was. i am wondering where is he, the i hear split and drum close, there he is. he cam down the side of the ridge in and out of the thick stuff. i see him at 40 yards, i first think its a jake. i just saw a small beard or what looked like a small beard, he takes couple more step and he is abouut to get in the open area i see beard and he is full strut. easing towards the opening. i get the gun on him and lean around a pine thats 15 yards in front of me and when he steps around the pine. MR BROWNING SPOKE. down he went. i get up not see him at all, as i am walking towards where i shot him i see no bird nothhing. then i see that low spot. he is laying ther no flopping. i walk up to him look at beard, good one, turn him over to look at the spurs, i about fell down but then started dancing a jig..... HOOKS baby.......
took some pics and left walking towards the truck, according to my gps its 1.2 miles straigh as a arrow to it. big hill to go up.
best bird from the forest....

looking to where he was at.

slamman

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

boomer

alclark2

Hoosier Hunt n Fish

eddie234

Congrats!!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

BigStrutter

"Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep"

spur collector

Congrats on a successful hunt and a fine tom.

ridgerunner

Congrats! nice bird..had that happen where a bird shuts up and comes in silent..good thing you stayed and didn't get up..i ruined many hunts getting up to move on a bird I thought " wasn't coming"...in my younger days...Awesome bird!

Publicland

tomstopper

Congrats on a great hunt and a fantastic bird.....

Illini Tom

harleytom