Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Y'all's thoughts on which shot size is better...

Started by Deerslayer0369, April 11, 2014, 10:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deerslayer0369

I have the tru glo gobble stopper xtreme .665 in my gun right now. It's in the 140-150 range but I have the hevi-13 .662 as well. The hevi tube is made for that shot and it's the one that perform "ok". I went with the tru glo tube bc the overall pattern was much better.

jakesdad

I use #6's in both lead and old Remington Hevi.Lead in the 12 and hevi in the 20.Have used #5 lead in the past also and it does well in the 12.Have not had much luck patternwise with #4,but have not really tried many combos with it either.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

chipper

I use Hevi # 7's and from 40 yards in , if you do your part and know your gun and pattern, they are extremely lethal , I've killed 12 longbeard since switching to them and all shots have been from 15 yards to 42 yards and the end result is carnage.  Whatever you chose, pattern it learn how it shoots, keep it inside 40 yards and have fun.

bowhunter2k9

Quote from: L.F. Cox on April 13, 2014, 07:00:17 AM
I started out shooting #4 shot...

Then I became what I call a "circle jerker" (I started counting pellet holes in paper) it was like a drug smelling all that gun powder and being dizzy from counting all them little pellet holes and recoil was tantalizing.

I flipped back and forth between 6's and #4's  then settled on #5 shot for several years.....then I went full circle jerk'n crAzy and shot Nitro 4x5x7 shot...whew what a swarm of little fairy dust.

Guess what I finally woke up.....I'm back to shooting #4's and could give a dang how many pellets are in a 10" circle.

This ^^^
Romans 8:38-39

Tom Foolery

Lead 6's and hevi13 #7's from my 12 gauges and Hevi13 6's, 7's and Fed HW #7's from my 20 gauges.  I figure since they will all kill at 40 you might as well have as many pellets as possible headed down range.  It has nothing to do with being obsessed with the # of pellets in a circle.  It has to do with sending the most effective pattern with the least gaps down range. 

I've killed with 4's, 5's, 6's, Hevi13 6's, Hevi13 7's and Nitro 4x5x7 hevishot and for my money nothing touches #7 hevishot from close to far, TSS excluded.

chipper

Quote from: Tom Foolery on April 15, 2014, 08:03:45 PM
Lead 6's and hevi13 #7's from my 12 gauges and Hevi13 6's, 7's and Fed HW #7's from my 20 gauges.  I figure since they will all kill at 40 you might as well have as many pellets as possible headed down range.  It has nothing to do with being obsessed with the # of pellets in a circle.  It has to do with sending the most effective pattern with the least gaps down range. 

I've killed with 4's, 5's, 6's, Hevi13 6's, Hevi13 7's and Nitro 4x5x7 hevishot and for my money nothing touches #7 hevishot from close to far, TSS excluded.
I agree 100%

ILIKEHEVI-13

There is no need to count shot when you can get a pattern like this at a taped 40yds shooting Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7's.  Long beards won't even come close to duplicating this even if they made a 7 shot load.  Lead 4's or 5's will work, but there is typically holes in the pattern at 40yds.   

Deerslayer0369

I do believe sir that you just sold me on the 7's with that pattern. What tube you running? Thinking about an SSX for my 535, allaboutshooting has recommended it for my 535. Think this we'll make a mediocre gun a sure enough turkey slayer with the 7's.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's a Star Dot .676 out of my Moss 835 28" polished barrel I did myself.  But there are a lot of tubes that will work.  The Hevi-13 chokes shoot very well.  I need to try the two I have for my 835 and the 870.  I have seen plenty of patterns from the Hevi-13 chokes to know they are for real.  You might want to try a Star Dot .668 Invector choke in your 535.  They got them on ebay I believe.   

Gooserbat

I've shot #6 win HV lead for years and it kills turkeys.  I'm shooting longberd #6 right now and they kill turkeys.  It really don't matter as long as you know you limitations and stick to it. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

darn2ten

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 16, 2014, 11:51:54 AM
I've shot #6 win HV lead for years and it kills turkeys.  I'm shooting longberd #6 right now and they kill turkeys.  It really don't matter as long as you know you limitations and stick to it.
Exactly, I haven't seen a single pattern with LB 6's with gaps big enough for any turkey to get through at 40. My gun shoots the 3.5" LB 6 right at 250, more than enough.

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

BigAL64

Use the Hevi13 #7 and thank me later!! My youth hunter just about decapitated a turkey this weekend at 45 yards.
Shoot em in the face