OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Turkey Record for Me

Started by R AJ, April 11, 2014, 06:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R AJ

Today after 3.5 hrs of calling and getting gobbles my partner and I called up a gobbling bird and behind it a strutter. I had a shot at the front bird and at 25 steps he fell without a flop. The bird had a nice 9.5" beard, .7" spurs , beautiful full fan but weighed only 12 pounds.
So, this is the lightest weight bird for a 2 year old that I have ever taken and really have no clue as to why. The thighs were thin also. They may have gobbled off a few pounds as this was one of my top hunts in a lifetime.

Gooserbat

IT all goes back to diet and exercise.  Really if you hunt in an area that's not got flat farms that's full of groceries then the birds have to work harder to eat and usually that means not as much food as well not to mention we've had a tough winter all over the country this past year.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wrangler95

:happy0064:very nice,congrats
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

tomstopper

Congrats. My guess would be due somewhat to the winter the US has had this year...

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

turkey_slayer

Being he's in Alabama I doubt winter had that big of an impact. Something must have been wrong as that's a big hen weight

drenalinld

2012 was drought conditions. Hens kept renesting throughout Summer when losing eggs or poults. He was likely born late Summer. Saw many late hatches that Summer in the South.

Crawl79

My first bird in La this year was smallest two year old bird I have ever killed. My guess is was a late hatch that year. He had good weight to him but beard and spurs were shorter than normal for a bird with a full fan.

Old Gobbler

I've killed a few Osceolas that were in the 11-12 pound range , worn down end of the season gobblers , I remember one gobbler in particular was a gobbler that I was after for a few years , he was a 4 year old bird I shot in the second to last day of the season - 12 pounds ,  long beard , long spurs

Like mentioned diet and and nutrition are key factors , a well fed gobbler down here will be in the 16-17 pound range , smaller ones like 14 are common in less favorable habitats --
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

savduck

killed quite a few that weighed 12 to 15 lbs. They were shot in the same places as birds weighing 18,19,and 20 lbs. Most were also long spurred 3 and 4 year olds. I just think it happens.
Georgia Boy

RutnNStrutn

Most of the dominant gobblers I have shot have empty crops. They are more interested in breeding than eating. Like OG said, end of the season, worn down, not been eating = weight loss.

DirtNap647

Flydown

I think you shot a "pure" wild turkey. Congrats on a fine turkey!

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

slamman