OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box Call help

Started by HOOK KILLER, March 15, 2011, 09:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOOK KILLER

I need you guys to help me.  I have never used a box call very much but I want to buy one and try it this year. I have no idea which one to get so I thought I would ask you all. Please only comment and reccomend box calls that you have used and been successful with.  Thanks

turkeybow

I haven't really used box calls much at all.  I did once last year as I had just got it.  I got a new one this year from pappy and I can't wait to test it out  :you_rock:  Go to the call forums and check them out.  Contact some of the call makers on here as well to talk to them!
"We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect."
~ Aldo Leopold

drum817

I have owned and used many different box's.  There are many great box call makers...but personally, I found that the SS Custom Calls Box's were much easier to play than most....    http://www.sscustomcalls.com/
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

Ranman

I use a Lynch Fool Proof, and a Cody one sided box.  They both have called in several birds.  There are also several excellent call makers on this sight to choose from.  Good luck.
Ranman

Gobble!

hooks makes good box calls

Skeeterbait

Many consider the box call as the epitomy of a turkey call, and there are many fine call makers making fine box calls.  My preference are Bill Baublit calls, www.bbcustomboxcalls.com

If you are looking to put less into it than a custom call to start though, a Lynch World Champion has killed untold numbers of turkeys since they were introduced in the 1950's and can be had for about $25.

HOOK KILLER

Thanks guys.  I will check these out.  Keep em comin :z-guntootsmiley:

SouthEastNC

I've got an Albert Paul box call that I absolutely love.

www.paulscalls.com
Go Heels, Go America

RS

I'm with you ksgobbler.  I've killed more turkeys with my late 80s vintage Lohman model 870 box than just about all the other calls I carry combined.  It was the first turkey call I ever bought.

If I was going to buy my 1st now the Lynchs Fool Proof would'nt be a bad choice.  This is just about the only call my brother has used since he started hunting turkeys in the 70s and he has killed a whole lot of gobblers just using simple 3 or 4 note yelps with it.

FANMAN

Quote from: SouthEastNC on March 16, 2011, 08:55:58 AM
I've got an Albert Paul box call that I absolutely love.

www.paulscalls.com

X 2 ... Mr. Paul makes an awesome box call.

Stoner

Everyone has their favorites when it comes to box calls. Tim Clayton makes a super nice box call that really sound good. I have several of Tim's calls. Another favorite that I have killed several gobblers with is Albert Paul call. The call that Mr. Paul made for me is Persimmon with a curly Maple paddle. Very attractive call  and it is all turkey.

anthonyjhallen

Quote from: drum817 on March 15, 2011, 10:01:02 PM
I have owned and used many different box's.  There are many great box call makers...but personally, I found that the SS Custom Calls Box's were much easier to play than most....    http://www.sscustomcalls.com/

Ditto   :icon_thumright:

ssettle

I called 5 gobblers  last year at different times using a simple push button call. The first one was during a youth day hunt with my brother- in- laws grandson and 2 others  during the third week in May. Mostly used clucks and raking the leaves with my hand. We killed 3 of them The 2 others I messed up on and couldn't get a clear shot

redleg06

If I was starting new, I would get a Lynch Fool Proof..... As the name implies, its hard to sound bad on one.

T-town

Quote from: drum817 on March 15, 2011, 10:01:02 PM

CASH got me one for my b-day. Looks and sounds great!