turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Finally got it done

Started by FL-Boss, April 11, 2014, 12:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

It's been a tough season so far for me in North Fla for a variety of factors – more than record rain fall, timber cutting, etc.  But I told myself the other day to stop racing around.... pick one good property, focus on it and stop making excuses. It was time to get it done.. only 9 days left in the season.

I heard this bird on the roost on the edge of a field on small planted pines..  I creped though the field to get close.. but not too close. He gobbled 100 times in the tree.  No sound of any hens... great!   I hit the slate call one good time just to let him know I was there.  I typically wouldn't do this... but I had to make sure when he did eventually fly down... he comes on my side. The bird was literally roosted in a tall marker tree on the property line.  If he flew down to the right side ... it was all over.

So I got about 100 yards from him... listened to him light up the morning.  Now... I though the entire time he was roosted a little deeper off the field, in the swamp ( swamp borders the field)   But after day light starting coming up... I saw he was in the big pine tree on the border of the field.. and looking right down at me from a clear view 50 feet up.   I thought damn, I'm busted....no way he will fly down this direction.   He walked up and down the limb... gobble, strut.. gobble, strut.. repeat.  This went on for 30 min.  I stood perfectly still behind a few 3 foot pines.. hardly any cover... especially with him being that high up.  I couldn't even move to put on my face mask.   I never called again... he keep on putting on the show in the tree.  I thought after 20 min of that he must NOT be too concerned even though he had to have seen me.   I was motionless like I have never been.... Gun is laying down my right side with finger on the safety.  I'm just waiting for him to make his move.  He flaps his wings some up in the tree... looks like he is about to fly down... false alert.  More gobbling and strutting.  10 more min go by same routine. ... when he finally makes his move and lifts ...gun safety instantly off..... he flying down on my side!  He about 35 yards off.. flapping his wings to land... boom!   He was dead before he knew what happen.. not a single flop. 
The hunt was far from "typical" but that is how it always seems to go in my area. It was the most exciting one I have been on in a long time.

17lb, 10.5in beard. First 20ga kill as well!

Crawl79

Short but exciting hunt! Congrats

boomer

ouachitamtnman

That's cool.  That beard looks super long
Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

DirtNap647

appalachianstruttstopper

Good Deal!! :icon_thumright: I was in panhandle a few weeks ago, and boy they were tough to hunt. It was like they was still on their winter pattern.  :icon_thumright:

Spring_Woods

Dang, that sounds like a super exciting hunt! Congrats
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

captin_hook

hookedspur

Quote from: Spring_Woods on April 11, 2014, 12:54:42 PM
Dang, that sounds like a super exciting hunt! Congrats

Yep Congrats
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Muzzy61

Congrats. nice bird, way to stay after them.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

RutnNStrutn

Way to go!! That was awesome! Your heart must have been pounding loud enough for him to hear!! :lol: Congrats!! :icon_thumright:

beagler

Never Misses

kevin2

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Wrangler95

:you_rock:very nice,congrats
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!