Previous topic - Next topic

Flydown

Awesome hunt and great pictures! Congrats on the Cali bird! :icon_thumright:

boomer

jblackburn

congrats on the bird, and great pics!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

land cruiser

Great hunt, story and hard earned trophy!

mudhen

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 10, 2014, 10:25:27 PM
Thanks guys, it was a heck of a trip, and a hard earned gobbler!

Quote from: mudhen on April 10, 2014, 08:59:32 PMLooks like a jake to me though...
mudhen
I knew someone would make that comment. :lol: Like I said Mudhen, he wasn't a big boy by any means, but he wasn't a jake. I've never heard of jakes that weighed 16.2 lb's, had 7" beards or spurs bigger than nubs. I see what you are talking about by the fan. But I've also killed a mature Osceola with 1-3/8" hooks and an 11" beard that had even more of a jakish fan than this Rio does. I got a kick out of posting the pic of that Osceola's fan on another forum and asking if people thought it was a jake or a tom. ;D

Welcome to Cali, land of the super jake!!

I've got maybe 10 jakes that have topped 16 lbs, heaviest being 17 lb 10 oz.

Almost all of them had .5"+ spurs, connected to the bone, and 5-7" beards.

I have no idea why we seem to have so many of them out here, but I think our mild weather allows for a long breeding window.  We will have poults on the ground any day, if not already in some areas.

But, for sure, it's whatever you want it to be!!

mudhen

"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

ElkTurkMan

Congrats on your bird. I love the pictures.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Turkeyfan

Sounded like a great trip was had congrats to you.

headbanger

Congrats on the bird! That California land sure isn't the concrete jungle you see on the tube. Beautiful land.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: mudhen on April 11, 2014, 07:36:18 AMit's whatever you want it to be!!
mudhen
:deadhorse:
Mild weather? You're talking to someone from Florida!! :lol: Even here, super jakes still have classic jake fans. As I said, I shot a limb hanger Osceola that had more of a jake fan than this Rio, and fooled everyone on the forum I posted the pic on. Beards are not the measure of maturity, and sometimes fans aren't either, there are many oddities in the turkey world. Jakes don't have a 3/4" spur. Spurs are the measure of maturity. I'll call my gobbler a late hatch 2 year old, because that's what I believe he was. :thanks: You can call him a jake, or super jake, or anything you'd like to. Or you could have just said congrats!! ::)
The picture below shows a jake on the left and a gobbler on the right. 

RutnNStrutn

Thank you to all of the rest of you guys though! It was an awesome trip, and I am happy with my gobbler that I worked my tail off to get. :thanks:

hobbes

Congrats Rutn!  Sounds like a well deserved bird.

Has MT been marked off your list?  If not and you plan a hunt here, be sure to get in touch with me.  I don't have any sure bets, but I can get you pointed in the right direction if your going to hunt public land.  I may even be able to get out and help you run a Merriam's down.

RutnNStrutn

Thanks Hobbes!! I haven't been to Montana yet. But it's definitely on the list. I have a couple of old friends that I'm gonna visit when I go hunt there. I'll be in touch with you before I head out there. :thanks:

FL-Boss

Great story.. a lot of hard work paid off.. well deserve bird. 

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!