turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Preserving legs and feet.

Started by ilbucksndux, April 10, 2014, 11:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilbucksndux

I have skimmed thru the taxidermy section and did not find the answer that I was looking for. I want to do something a bit different so I'm keeping the legs whole from my last bird instead of just the spurs.Do I need to get the marrow out of the legs or do I just let them dry ?
Gary Bartlow

TnRidgeRunner

I've never worried about the marrow. Just make sure you have the feet in the position you want them to be in while they dry cause once it's dry there is no going back.

wvboy

Quote from: TnRidgeRunner on April 10, 2014, 03:38:00 PM
I've never worried about the marrow. Just make sure you have the feet in the position you want them to be in while they dry cause once it's dry there is no going back.

Ditto.. I like to spread the feet out like a walking bird .. put some borax at the joint where you cut it off and let it dry like that.. after it is dry use some clear coat to preserve the color ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Crawl79

I use a drill bit to get as much as the marrow out as I can. Pack with borax and tie the feet in the position i wan them in. I usually like them spread out as if walking.

RutnNStrutn

A friend of mine showed me how he does his. Use some monofilament fishing line to keep the toes and leg in position. Then let them dry. Once dry, they'll stay that way forever. I Boraxed the joint to dry it out, then cleaned it and put a blob of hot glue on it to cover up the joint. Here's a pic of the finished product.

TnRidgeRunner

I've never even used the borax...just a good dry basement with something set on top of em to keep the feet spread out. Not sure how, but they seem to keep their color pretty well for a really long time.

COssman14

Not sure if it is the right thing to use but I have always used salt on my fans/feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".