OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

OK Hunting Trip

Started by ouachitamtnman, April 09, 2014, 11:41:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ouachitamtnman

Had a great time in OK.  Opening morning I chased birds all morning to no avail but later that morning, I hear three, through the draw and across the creek gobbling right were I had been earlier that day.  I called and they answered adamantly.  I called again and they all 3 cut me off.  The spot I was at was nice and flat on top of the hill so I sat down and called again and again they cut me off.  Having hunted Easterns mostly, I was devising a plan on how to get over on that ridge, knowing there was no way they would cross the draw much less the creek at the bottom of it.  I was 10 minutes in to devising my plan when the first of 3 white heads bobbed over the crest of the hill and I had my gun across my lap.  I was able to get the gun up without spooking them but wanted to make sure they werent jakes because the gobbles sounded weak and there actions had jake written all over them.  I made out a long beard on one of the birds, took aim and shot.  1st bird down on opening day...what a blessing and blessed day!  It was an eastern/rio hybrid as noted by the golden tips and brown secondary feather tips.

The next morning, Birds were gobbling sparingly on the roost (these birds don't gobble alot on the roost but about 8am would start lighting the world up) so I got setup on a different ridge with a creek at the bottom of it, across from the bird.  That bird quit gobbling and one in the distance was lighting it up so I went after that one but of course he shut up when I got closer so I went back to where the first bird had been gobbling.  I cut hard and 2 gobbled across the ridge so found a good spot and set up.  The moved to my left so I adjusted.  After about 10 min the same thoughts were going through my head that they would never traverse such a deep draw with a creek at the bottom.  I took out my phone and decided I would try to capture some of their gobbling and the setup on video.  I turned the video recorder on and made a few calls and dang if they werent 40yds away, over my left shoulder and let out a booming gobble at the same time which shocked the heck out of me as you can see by the video.  When the first ones head went behind a tree, I adjusted my gun but the second one saw me and they were about to split...I rushed my shot and missed but I was barely even upset...I already had a bird down and just called in 2 more and it was only 8am on the second day.  The sun was shining after a rainy opener and you couldn't have payed me to mope.  I was off work, the morning was crisp, cool, calm, the morning sun was beaming on my face and turkeys were still gobbling in the distance...I was in turkey heaven.  Here's the video just for kicks  :)

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/ouachitamtnman/media/VID_20140407_074620_498_zpsc07e656b.mp4.html

I chased birds and had good hunts the rest of the day but had no luck but was happy as a kid in a candy store.

The next day, my last, I started on the same ridge as the second day and had a bird gobbling but also heard hens with him and as you might guess, he didn't want to play but I gave it heck anyway.  Along about the time I had to go, I'm trying desperately to spark something up when a couple of hens start answering my erratic cuts and yelps with much the same which sparked up 3 gobblers, 2 on the ridge where the hens were headed and one coming from my right towards the group.  I knew I'd never get to the 2 who were about to be joined by the hens but thought I might intercept the straggler so I moved to set up on him.  By the time I got there he had already crossed the creek and was headed up the ridge where the group was and I started calling to him and all 3 were hammering, answering my calls trying to round up the herum.  Again, across the draw, across the creek and several hens between me and my quarry...no way this is gonna happen...and then I heard leaves rustling, just out of sight down by the creek in front of me.  Shortly thereafter, golden fan tips followed by a curious red white and blue head came creeping up towards me.  This guy came in strutting, spitting and drumming and was as pretty a bird as I've ever seen.  So pretty that I passed the first 2 shot opportunities not wanting the moment to end.  I took the 3rd opportunity though and made it count killing my second bird and tagging out on the 3rd day of my OK season.  A 20lb bird never felt so light on the walk back to my truck.

I had a fantastic time visiting with my aunt and uncle who I hadn't seen in a couple of years and had as good a time in the turkey woods as a person could have.  I couldn't feel more blessed and thankful to our Lord for his creation and for a place where we have the opportunities that we have to hunt.

Both birds had 9.5" beards. The hybrid had 1" spurs and weighed 25lbs and the rio had 7/8" spurs and weighed 20lbs...

Here are the fans side by side where you can plainly see the difference

Defending God is like defending a lion...he don't need your help...just open the cage

DirtNap647

jblackburn

Congrats!

The first time I hunted rios I thought the gobblers had to be jakes!  When rios are ready, they seem suicidal, but I've been humbled by them, too.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

alloutdoors

Sounds like a great trip, congrats!

Longshot

Very nice work....on the birds, pics, and story. I really enjoyed reading this one. Congratulations on a great hunt!
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

JALA Strut

Sounds like a fun trip with some nice birds...Congrats

tomstopper

Nice birds... Good read.. Sounds like a blast..Congrats.....

Rokhal07

MAKEemQUIVER

Thanks for sharing your hunts, sounds like you had a great trip
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

COssman14

Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

JVA54

land cruiser

Awesome story, great hunts.  Congrats on your harvest :-)

slamman

congrats on a great hunt.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

boomer

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase