turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Ebough is Enough!

Started by imp, April 08, 2014, 10:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imp

Last Wednesday I was working in a Gobbler on my favorite area of BLM. Its 50 beautiful open acres of oaks and pines, then turns into 1000 or so heavily brushed acres. It is a veritable highway for Deer and Turkey. The next door land owner has his property partially fenced, He owns 4 Horses and constantly grazes them on the BLM in order to sway unsure hunters from hunting there. I have talked with Him several times and let him know when I would be hunting so that he would not graze his horses. He says he wont and does anyways. Last Fall my oldest was home on leave and was Deer hunting the same piece of land, He to had previously alerted this guy. Unbelievably instead of letting his horses out, he sent his grandchildren out running and screaming right up to my sons blind.

Back to working the bird. He was about 60 yards out, slowly making his way toward me. It was hard to tell, but he looked to be a pretty nice Tom. The time was 6:50 am, all of a sudden here come the horses, at full gallop straight toward me. The bird, gone. Me pissed to no end. This guy had released, no, herded them, knowing full well that I was out there. I packed my stuff and headed home seething.

After calming down I started to weigh my options. A confrontation was not going to accomplish anything. Sooooo, I took a shot and called BLM to complain. Well, today I met the BLM Ranger and led him to the area. Low and behold, our friend had his horses out. Perfect. The Ranger got out and walked the property with me, all the while taking pics and gps coordinates. The offending land owner had also been expanding his grazing area, liming trees and doing debris piles on the BLM. The Ranger was not happy. They are going back out on the 22nd to access the damage and determine his fine.
He was told not to release the animals again, period. And that harassing hunters was a misdemeanor also and that if it continued, DFG would be notified. I hate being a rat, but my and your Taxes pay to keep these pieces of property open. Rant over.
"well, other than the occasional proffer of wisdom or sound advice, mostly my job is to walk around and animadvert the
situational happenings."

mwr

Heller

That's pretty uncool to say it lightly.

eman375

Sorry the hunt ended the way it did.  However, you did yourself and your son a favor for future hunts.  Landowners that won't let hunters on their ground to hunt but take full advantage of public ground like this moron you encountered really just piss me off!  Good for you and you go man!

jblackburn

It stinks that it came to that, but he was interfering with your right to utilize public land. 
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

learn2hide

good for you man...I have a next door neighbor that thinks she owns everything and is in everyone else's business all the time...same thing got her busted by the city after she called on me three times all for bulls%&^ reasons but I caught her dumping her sump pump into the storm drain...city wrote her a ticket on the spot while they were there inspecting my property for an unfounded complaint she called in on me...
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

TnRidgeRunner

What that guy was doing is ridiculous. I have to wonder what he had against people hunting public land? Hopefully the ranger can get him set straight before your season is over and you lose another year on that property. Good luck man!

Vabirddog

You tried it nice. he didn't care. Don't feel guilty for a second.

darn2ten

Good for him, he got what he deserved IMO.

DirtNap647

ridgerunner

Good job! Guys like that need a reality check..never let em slide...you did good.

redarrow

His butt belongs in jail.Hopefully his fines will hit hard enough that he never plays that game again.

J-Shaped

You mentioned it, but what is your state's ruling on hunter harrassment? Some states don't take these sort of things lightly.

spur collector

You did the right thing.  :icon_thumright:

tomstopper

Quote from: jblackburn on April 09, 2014, 01:24:52 AM
It stinks that it came to that, but he was interfering with your right to utilize public land.
:agreed: He didn't care about your rights so I wouldn't feel bad about reporting him.....