OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Cool Foot Tom

Started by land cruiser, April 08, 2014, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

land cruiser

I wish this was a story of how I cut this tom's track 3 years ago and how I went about trying to outwit him and how he would beat me every time year after year until the day I saw him through my Burris sight. It's not that cool, but doesn't matter to me, I'll still call him Cool Foot Tom.

We did meet briefly last year. I hunted this property once on a super windy day and all birds were silent most of the day. All but this guy, he was walking around "no hunting zone" and gobbling his head off. I tried to get him towards the end of the day but there was a fence and a creek between us and he wouldn't budge.

Fast forward to this a.m., a year later. Driving through camp I met another hunter who had told me that ol' boy is still hanging out in the same safe zone and that set the tone for the day. I walked in to the area and sat down waiting for him to give up his location. Soon after fly down I heard him about 75 yards away, across the creek and henned up. He and his girl were casually walking down the hill they roosted on heading towards the fields.

I circled the hill and stood listening. This tom was gobbling at everything and anything, cutting off crows, dogs, whatever was in the area. I think he's gotten pretty comfortable in his little pen. I gave him 4 yelps from Halloran's box – no dice. Switched to Lionne Sneed's Outlaw Hen – booom. Hen tries to cut me off. Bingo!

Out comes my decoy, set it down, run back 20 yards, sit down, and get the gun ready. Three more yelps and I see this Cool Foot Tom running in. Sealed the deal right then. 21Lb, 9 inch beard, 1.25" left spur, 1" right spur.

Happy!

land cruiser

land cruiser

renegade19

Cooter

:icon_thumright: Congrats nice pix too
-}}}--------->

DirtNap647

slamman

great story and nice bird.  who else out there  wants a Sneed call now?   ;D

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

land cruiser

Rio Fan

Any longbeard is a great bird in my book.  Congrats!

alloutdoors

jblackburn

good stuff!  Congrats on a fine bird!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

JALA Strut

Congrats ...Nice Bird and story!

Longshot

Congrats on a great hunt!
Hunt with your children today and you won't have to hunt for them tomorrow.

boomer