OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

counting kills

Started by triplebeard, April 08, 2014, 04:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

budtripp

I don't take credit for it but I do greatly enjoy it. Plus it means I still have a tag or two to keep hunting

bigbird

Fullfan

Don't gobble at me...

DirtNap647

gotta pull the trigger to count

derek

I keep a record of it on my log, but do not count it as a kill. 

I also keep record of my misses
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

appalachianstruttstopper

I don't and won't. I keep a record of mine by notching my tags. I have no idea how many turkeys have died in front of me.

Blackduck

Yes, and so does every serious turkey hunter that I know. We only get 3 tags here and even going to another state for another 2 tags, 5 tags ain't much for a 5 week season. So u take kids, wives, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc, get new people into the sport, and count all the birds u bring in and "watch die". That way u and your turkey buddies can have a friendly competition to see who calls the most in. You keep track of the misses too. I guess that for the guys that don't get out enough to go double digits in a season then there wouldn't be a lot of point to it. I don't keep a running career total of birds called in and killed, only of my personal birds(counting beards/tags), but we all keep up with birds called in year to year. I am surprised no one else on here does.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: Blackduck on April 08, 2014, 09:34:09 PM
Yes, and so does every serious turkey hunter that I know. We only get 3 tags here and even going to another state for another 2 tags, 5 tags ain't much for a 5 week season. So u take kids, wives, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc, get new people into the sport, and count all the birds u bring in and "watch die". That way u and your turkey buddies can have a friendly competition to see who calls the most in. You keep track of the misses too. I guess that for the guys that don't get out enough to go double digits in a season then there wouldn't be a lot of point to it. I don't keep a running career total of birds called in and killed, only of my personal birds(counting beards/tags), but we all keep up with birds called in year to year. I am surprised no one else on here does.

I think most of us know how many we kill and how many we guide.

For a lot of guys here, that's way into double digits and the bottom line is serious turkey hunters don't count a guided bird towards their own personal kill totals. The OP's original question pertained to that.

RemingtonRules

I don't really keep up with the number of kills I have, no one that matters to me really cares. However many I have killed will never be enough.  The most important one is the next one.

Flydown

I've seen a few turkeys die and can pretty much tell a story of every one I've seen breath his last breath but I couldn't tell you a number (never added them up) I like watching turkeys get fooled weather I'm the one pulling the trigger or not. So to answer your question, No, if I don't pull the trigger than it's not my statistic but who really gives a rip? The only number that matters to me is the (6) that got away(missed). I've killed more than some and not near as many as others but I have a brain full of turkey hunting memories that my kids usually never hear the same one twice.

jblackburn

I don't count it as one of mine, but I write the successful hunts of others in my hunting journal.  I've hunted with quite a few people and have held many of them get their first birds, so I want to have something to help me keep the memories.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

mudhen

Love to call them in for others, but only track & record my own kills...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

catdaddy

I do. If I take a guy to my place, find the gobbler, show him where and how to set up, do all the calling, make all the critical decisions on when to call, when to stay put, when to move, whisper exactly what to do as the gobbler gets in range--and all he does is pull the trigger??? That gobbler is exponentially more a product of my expertise and efforts than his. 

TrackeySauresRex

I don't count kills,I lost track at one.  ;D   I love getting the assist, especially for the 1st timer.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

TRKYHTR

I only count my kills. I agree that 90% of the birds I call in for others I would have been able to kill and most of the time they are just the trigger man. If I were to count those it would be twice as many as I have killed.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck