OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DSD breeding pair or Avian X hen and jake....help please

Started by woodsman1977, April 07, 2014, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsman1977

Need some advise everyone....I don't know whether to get a pair of DSD breeding pair or the avian X hen and jake

The DSD's look about a heartbeat away from a walking turkey but the Avian's look really nice too. I am a little concerned about packing them around. I have a homemade bag that they would both fit in but ....how packable is the DSD's? I know the Avian's fold down to almost nothing.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your thoughts and opinions.

mossyoakpro

Never used the DSD but I love my Avians....I hunt a lot of field birds that require decoy use and the Avians work great for me.
Phillippians 4:13

Trumpetyelper

I use the Avian Hen and Jake and couldn't imaging anything better.  I must qualify that I have the DSD, Real Turkey decoy, Mojo, and more.  The Avian are hard to beat.  They are extremely durable. 

Dan Mallia

DSD breeding pair. They both fit in the bag that comes with the decoys, easy to carry around in the woods.  :z-guntootsmiley:

kyle m

I have an avian x hen (feeder) and an avian x Jake. Awesome decoys. I love seeing that Jake get pounded!  They seem big but if you carry them over your shoulder in the bags you don't even know they're there.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Dsd.... American made, most realistic, durable and detailed.

TRKYHTR

Other than a stuffer, the DSD is the best decoy made.

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

captpete

I bought a pair of the Avians last year. Mainly because they were collapsible and they were less expensive than the DSD's.  After blowing them up the first time, I knew I wasn't going to be letting the air out of them very often(a real pain to blow up). They were also bigger, heavier and bulkier than I thought they would be...reminded me of heavy beach ball. I returned them after one hunt. This year I purchased a pair of DSD's. They appear to be smaller and a little lighter...at least from what I remember the X's being. To me the DSD's are more realistic looking also.

Gamblinman

"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Old Gobbler

I own the very first , original DSD hen decoy ever made

This season marks it's 7th season spring hunting , it looks as good as the day I got it -- it's made in the USA , something uncommon these days --

Im sure whatever brand you choose will get you by , but I seriously doubt it will hold up as long and still look as good as a DSD
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

cuppednlocked

A friend purchased the Avian X hen and it looks nice.  He bought it to save $$$ vs the DSD.

That being said, I don't believe it looks as good as the DSD.

My DSD is not difficult to tote in the woods (but I am not carrying a bunch of other stuff either).  It actually fits across the top of my vest so carrying it is not a problem.

Cooter

-}}}--------->

woodsman1977

Thanks for all your comments and opinions, I have decided on the Dsd combo. Cabelas online is backordered but my local store has them in stock so tomorrow I am picking them up.

Excited to try them in a couple more weeks when season opens.

Swamprunner

I travel a lot to hunt (air travel), so the zinks make sense.  I have 2 sink hens and a dsd jake.  I actually rarely use decoys.  I borrowed a sink jake for my Tx trip because it was easier to pack, and it got flogged just like my dsd jake had in Fl.  DOnt buy the sinks thinking you will deflate them to carry them.  You won't.