turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The ghost is dead.

Started by darn2ten, April 07, 2014, 12:49:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darn2ten

First encountered this gobbler last Sunday. Heard him fire up about 9:30, and started toward him. Went down a logging road and got to where I though I was somewhat close, wasn't positive because he had shut up before I closed the distance. I called and got nothing, but waited it out a while. As I was sitting there another gobbler started back from the direction I had come from out on a field edge so I decided to make my move on him. I went about 100 yards back down this half moon shaped road to make a set up on the second bird. I got to where I wanted to be and gave about a 4 note yelp and the first bird gobbled about 75 yards behind me where I had just come from. I spun around the tree and got ready. He came in to no more than about 50 yards and hung up in a little patch of cedars. The bird back in the field would gobble and he would gobble back, I'd give him a little soft talk and he'd gobble. This went on for awhile, then I went silent just knowing that at anytime he couldn't handle it anymore and would have to come check me out. I could hear him drumming, I could hear him in the leaves and was staring right at where all this noise was coming from and could not figure out why I couldn't see him. I thought to myself that he was like a ghost. This went on for about 20 minutes and I think I hear a motor running in the distance. It gets closer and I peek over my shoulder back up the ridge and see something moving through the trees. It's a farmer coming to check on some horses, he drives within 40 yards of me down the field line with stuff clanging and rattling in the back of his truck. He passes me, drives down in the far corner of the field right where the other bird had been gobbling, gets out and slams the door. Needless to say, my hunt was over. I went back Thursday morning and hear old Ghost back down in the same area. As I would get closer it seemed like he would get farther and farther away. Finally he just faded out and vanished. This morning I was back, and eased in in the morning darkness. As daylight began to crack I listened and heard nothing. I figured that he would probably be roosted another 2 to 300 yards ahead of me off in the bottom. I almost didn't, but decided to hoot one time from where I was. I'm glad I did because as soon as I did he gobbled no more than 100 yards down the hill from me. I pulled up my mask and slipped around a little closer. As I was getting situated he gobbled again and I was probably within 75 yards of him. I wasn't going to call to him till he hit the ground. I didn't have to wait long, and I hear wings. I hit him with some soft yelps and he cut me off. A few clucks and I waited. He went silent, but after about 5 minutes I hear him drumming. Then for the first time I finally lay eyes on Ghost. It was pretty neat, he didn't gobble any more but as I watched him he stretched his head up and starts yelping. I yelped back and he started my way. Took him a few minutes but he finally strutted and weaved though the hardwoods toward me. I cut at him and as he stretched his head up to look I ended it at 26 yards at 6:23. He had double beards, 10 3/8" and 4 1/2". Spurs were 1 1/8 and 1 3/16" and he weighed 24 lbs. 10 oz.

Flydown

That's awesome,nothing like getting a bird that's beat you a few times. Congrats!

jblackburn

Awesome! Congrats on a fine bird!!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

bmhern

Sounds like a great hunt and a fine gobbler, Congrats !!!

:icon_thumright:

MouthCaller

Awesome story and bird congrats brother!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

ceejay

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Woodsman4God

Congrats , great looking bird  :icon_thumright:

eddie234

Congratulations!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

slamman

congrats on your double bird and thanks for the great story.

TRKYHTR

Nemesis birds make you a better turkey hunter. Congrats,

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Spring_Woods

Congrats and great story!
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

ElkTurkMan

Congrats on a awesome bird.  That first picture is really neat.