OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeards crap????

Started by scastle, April 06, 2014, 11:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scastle

Was at sports store today and nobody had anything good to say anout them.anyone else not having good luck with them.was going to try them out of my 935 but at $26 abox I figured id stay with the turkey thugs.

wibirdhunter

180° from sporting goods store theory is a good place to be.

Heller

I've yet to hear a bad thing about em. There $19.99 a box everywhere by me

alclark2

No shell works perfectly for every gun... It shots good in my gun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

learn2hide

I've shot the 5's and 4's at this point.  4's gave me 132 in a good killing pattern 10" at 40 yards using an SSX .643 Inv+ I suspect that the choke is too tight and I haven't had a chance to shoot the a more open one that I'm pretty sure will improve further given the larger shot.   With the 5's I've shot a 184 and a 197 in 10" with the SSX .643 and a Rob Roberts .660.  Whatever a sporting goods store wants to say is fine...but those are very solid lead numbers for not having to drop down to a #6 shot to get the pattern density.  Even though I prefer the Hevi 13's that shoot well into the 200s in my set up, there is no reason to trash the Longbeard XR ammo....based on what've seen here it's turned some guys set ups that would be lucky to kill at 30 yards into legit 40 yard guns. Less wounded turkeys = Happier Hunters   :you_rock:
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: scastle on April 06, 2014, 11:13:15 PM
Was at sports store today and nobody had anything good to say anout them.anyone else not having good luck with them.was going to try them out of my 935 but at $26 abox I figured id stay with the turkey thugs.

There is mass amounts of info about them on this forum an online in general.Many places online seem to be on backorder,as are many shops around my local area.I picked up a box of 3in/6s of them for 20$ but have yet to try them out of my 845/24in ported/.695 factory choke.

I am a newbie on a budget,but I just couldn't resist after reading so much about the Londbeards XRs .I have heard a lot of good things about the turkey thugs shells as well..Probably pick up some of them sometime too
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

d.winsor

If you like a tight pattern you will like Winchester Longbeards.  At 26.00 a box for longbeards at a sports store I would be shopping somewhere else for everything I need.

Crawl79

I shot Hevi blends for last few years.
This year I bought a FFIII and between sighting it in and out of state hunts I needed to try some cheaper shells.

Well I have limited out in Louisiana with Longbeard 5's. One at 35 yards second at 45 yards.

I was in the 200 Bb in 10" circle at 40 yards when sighting in.

R AJ

Does the sporting goods store have any of these crappy shells in stock? This is one way to sway the customer to buy their shells still sitting on the shelf halfway through turkey season.
As for them being crappy shells I'd have to disagree with that sales person. That price of $26.77 or so a box may be low for next year's supply of "crappy" shells.

chuckward

Buy a box and let that be your decided factor. There the best lead load I have ever shot by far :z-guntootsmiley:  Chuck

drum817

You should look down through this patterning section of the forum...there are A BUNCH of patterns posted with long beards.  See what you think.  :icon_thumright:
"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

JuniorPre 360

I put up 200 in a 10 inch circle. These are a great shell for a budget hunter like myself.

Don't always believe what you hear at a sports store. After successful duck hunts on the weekends, my buddy and I usually look at guns at Sportsman's Warehouse. You wouldn't believe the crap that is said. I guess it's where all the experts and guides hang out.

buck_hunter21

After reading nothing but good things about the LB, I bought a box and was able to shoot them yesterday. They put up great numbers for a lead shell. If some one is saying these shells are "crappy", they may need to look at their rig to make sure its set up correctly for the shell......the 26 dollars per box seems a bit steep from what I have been seeing them go for.
Spill Blood

sonofabuck

Sounds like your local store has some very informed staff.  They are correct, they ARE crap.  Tell your friends not to buy any as well.  Anybody that reads this thread should also stop buying them, especically the number 5's and 6's.   :goofball: :TooFunny: :goofball: :TooFunny:

olturkey

I've tried them. They look great in one gun and no good  in another. One gun tears up the wads. Thinking they don't get along with the choke (undertaker). Ordered different choke, but haven't got it yet. As already pointed out The price sould be $18 or $20 a box.