OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

hevi13 and non steel rated chokes?

Started by thunderman, April 06, 2014, 12:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderman

I've finally found some hevi13, 3 1/2 12ga. in #6 and also in magblend. I have several sized chokes from .660 to .680 that I have collected over the past few seasons. but only one that is rated for steel shot at .675. can I shoot this shot through these safely?

I would like to try these in my new bone collector 870SM 26in. topped with a truglow halo.

Deputy 14

Would be helpful to know what brand of chokes you have. Most good turkey chokes are hevi shot safe.

thunderman

that's probably helpful to know the makes. the tightest is the jelly head at .660, two undertakers at .665 one ported one not. tightwad at .670, trueglo at .675 and a remmie exfull turkey that measures .686. which is way to open to through anything smaller the 4's past 35yrds.

reason I ask is that several of these state not to use steel. would that also include the hard HTL loads?

allaboutshooting

Quote from: thunderman on April 06, 2014, 05:56:02 PM
that's probably helpful to know the makes. the tightest is the jelly head at .660, two undertakers at .665 one ported one not. tightwad at .670, trueglo at .675 and a remmie exfull turkey that measures .686. which is way to open to through anything smaller the 4's past 35yrds.

reason I ask is that several of these state not to use steel. would that also include the hard HTL loads?

Many turkey chokes say "no steel" but many of those same chokes are Hevi-Shot approved. The "no steel" is there to caution hunters from shooting large steel shot that might bridge and damage they choke and possibly the barrel as well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Deputy 14

I've shot hevi through all of the chokes you have listed and I've not had any "problems", however, your gun your choice but I think you'll be ok.