OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who's a sucker? This newbie is..

Started by ohiomossyoak, April 05, 2014, 07:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiomossyoak

Been looking for a Push/pull(or whatever they are called) call that is gun mountable..Im a newbie and will be solo hunting,and cannot yet run mouth calls.Was wanting something that can help seal the deal when things get close between me and a bearded bird.Picked up a Primos Bombshell for 25$..Now I am no expert on what sounds good or dont.But you can hear the action inside making noise when you use the call..Pretty sure I have been had :'(.Any recommendations on something that will do the job,is gun mountable and I can get for around the same cost..With a week-ish time frame? 
"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)
"General Patton"=Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag/24in ported barrel in  woodland camo

alclark2

I just put my call down and let the bird sneak in. If it gets to me first, he walks behind a tree and then I take aim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

alclark2

I can't run a mouth call either btw and I've been hunting turkeys for 5 years. I was there and have the same call in the bottom of a box of hunting gear somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

learn2hide

quaker boy easy yelper and if you want it mounted to the gun use zip ties.  That's a killer little call, had more than one gobbler refuse to gobble at slates, diaphragms, but gobble and work that call
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

AC 870

If you don't like it put it on eBay. Ought to be another sucker out there.

jblackburn

man, if you could find one, Lohman game calls built a barrel mounted pushpin that was sweet!  I gave mine away years ago, but wish I still had it.  It was probably the best sounding mass production push pin I have heard.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: learn2hide on April 05, 2014, 07:22:17 PM
quaker boy easy yelper and if you want it mounted to the gun use zip ties.  That's a killer little call, had more than one gobbler refuse to gobble at slates, diaphragms, but gobble and work that call

Funny you mentioned that call.I came across it an a seemingly identical call from the same manufacturer,but almost half the price difference between them.I dont know much of squat about what a turkey wants to hear.But the 10$ call I got to try sounded better than this 25$ Primos thing,and it didn't have a  springy,metallic sound  when I ran the call. Since you mentioned it,I may pick up two of the 10$ Quaker boy models and mount one to my 835 via zip ties.Then keep the other in my pocket.When mounting in this manner would the open part of the call face up or down,when the gun is held in a normal horizontal manner?

Here are the two calls I was talking about
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Quaker-Boy-H2O-Easy-Yelper-Turkey-Call/16935065?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=69894755835&category=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A1079944%3A1079984&client_guid=a69ccaa1-0e1a-419b-9daa-a6cf5e8a90f3&config_id=2&parent_item_id=23619906&guid=e784b942-7556-4f33-a9f9-18ca89f72e8b&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Turkey-Thug-Quaker-Boy-H2O-Yelper/23619906

I wanna thank everyone for the replies.Class act group of folks on this forum for sure :)

"Mister X"=2013 Recon'ed Stryker Strykezone 380 covered in Mossy Oak Treestand camo(1inch groups@45yards off a bench with Slick Trick Broadheads)

Old Gobbler

I've used pushpins for 30 years now and have called up and killed countless gobblers into gun range , but I would never , repeat never use one mounted on a shotgun - there is no way to properly articulate the call and make it sound better in that manner -

I will now shamelessly plug a image of a real push pin turkey call, notice the lack of plastic in its construction

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

ohiomossyoak

Your calls look very nice.And I have watched the video I think you made of how to run your pushpin calls Which makes me think that maybe I should try running this Primos call that way.Also I have been thinking about inquiring about one of your calls in the future.They really do look amazing

Old Gobbler

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on April 06, 2014, 03:10:45 AM
Your calls look very nice.And I have watched the video I think you made of how to run your pushpin calls Which makes me think that maybe I should try running this Primos call that way.Also I have been thinking about inquiring about one of your calls in the future.They really do look amazing
if you run any pushpin in the method I use , it will sound better

The newer Primos " 209 "  pushpin is a plastic framed pushpin , the bottom soundboard is a 3 ply wood material - the striker is wood , the paddle and pin are a one part assembly the paddle surface is a acrylic piece mounted to the paddle -- the plastic frame I feel soaks up all the sound waves and mutes the call down in volume and tone , just like the k&h calls that's being said the Primos makes a better fighting purr than any other commercially made push pin - the yelps kind of sound deep in tone - I'm sure it will kill a gobbler for sure

Open up the package in the store and try it out - my mentality on turkey calls is that the turkey calls do all the talking -- see if the call is right for you

Back to the frame of push pins .... Years of making and meddling with push pin calls led me to working with ultra dense hardwoods , and a unique mounting method for the soundboard -- I learned a lot about acoustic baffle and refractor technology from my friends at Bose - and researched into why high end speakers have very heavy bases - it's so the speaker can vibrate unhindered -  here is a visual mind assessment   , the soundboard is a critical component in a push pin it has to be allowed to vibrate in a special manner , if it is mounted slack ' the tone will sound muted as the frame soaks up the vibrations ( like a recoil pad on your shotgun) if it is held rock solid though....... Some things start to happen , like being able to call very very softly , or very loudly because the soundboard is mounted and allowed to vibrate in the manner I allow

Here is a visual pic of a karate punch to 2 boards , if the guy holding the wood was holding it slack , there is no way the boards would get full contact

Everyone knows a good yelp has a 2 tone yelp or , split - if the push pin is made and used right the front part of the yelp is when the push pin peg is vibrating to and fro - back and forth , it's doing this at a very high rate and that's how you get that higher pitch front note , I then hand shave the soundboard , so that when the peg starts to vibrate at a certain point the soundboard starts to go up and down in conjunction with going back and forth, I call this phenomenon " trampoline-ing " and this is where you get the split note -

Yet another shameless plug of my push pins -- the soundboards are not just for looks  :wave:

-Shannon

ohiomossyoak

Quote from: Old Gobbler on April 06, 2014, 12:06:33 PM

The newer Primos " 209 "  pushpin is a plastic framed pushpin , the bottom soundboard is a 3 ply wood material - the striker is wood , the paddle and pin are a one part assembly the paddle surface is a acrylic piece mounted to the paddle -- the plastic frame I feel soaks up all the sound waves and mutes the call down in volume and tone , just like the k&h calls that's being said the Primos makes a better fighting purr than any other commercially made push pin - the yelps kind of sound deep in tone - I'm sure it will kill a gobbler for sure

Open up the package in the store and try it out - my mentality on turkey calls is that the turkey calls do all the talking -- see if the call is right for you

Like I said I really dont know enough to say if the Primos 209 bombshell has any good qualities sound wise.My main issue is the very springy,metallic and obvious sound. of the inside making noise when you run the call.This make be a isolated instance.I plan to take the call to the store an ask if I may exchange or return it,and open some others to see how they sound in regards to the springy sounds internally.

Old Gobbler

Quote from: ohiomossyoak on April 06, 2014, 01:43:18 PM
Quote from: Old Gobbler on April 06, 2014, 12:06:33 PM

Like I said I really dont know enough to say if the Primos 209 bombshell has any good qualities sound wise.My main issue is the very springy,metallic and obvious sound. of the inside making noise when you run the call.This make be a isolated instance.I plan to take the call to the store an ask if I may exchange or return it,and open some others to see how they sound in regards to the springy sounds internally.
it's possibly the metal spring itself if it's not attached on snug it's gonna give off a metallic buzzing sound- if the spring is attached with a screw tighten it a little - if it's not , bust off a small pencil eraser and slide it on the wire spring where it won't obstruct the operation of the call
Similar to having a loose sight pin on a bow , when you shoot it the pin will vibrate

-Shannon

learn2hide

Ohio you would want the chamber facing up or out to the side when mounted to your gun...no doubt that the way you position your hands and pressure make a big difference to the sound of the call...but the gun mounted one in your scenario is simply a finisher call, couple clucks, small yelp that can be made undetected to a close bird...I'd palm the other one and use it when you are working more distant birds
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

ohiomossyoak

Took the Primos Bumshell back an let them hear the sounds internally I was talking about..Swapped it for another one,which has the same sound but less noticeable.It is what it is I guess :(