turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Spur preservation

Started by WNCTracker, April 04, 2014, 09:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

Does anybody have any suggestions for preservation or display?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JALA Strut

Vanhelden has a great tutorial in the How To/DIY Section

WNCTracker

Thanks

870FaceLift

+ 1 on VanHelden's method.  It is tedious, but the results are amazing and will last a lifetime.

http://vanheldengamecalls.weebly.com/1/post/2013/02/how-i-clean-turkey-spurs.html

Pass it on...

WNCTracker

Does it have to be a fresh kill or can I do it on old ones too?

870FaceLift

I did this last year on some that were a year or two old.  They turned out fine, but had been in a container of borax.  I guess it depends on how you preserved the older ones.  If they haven't rotted, then they should be good to go.
Pass it on...

DirtNap647

Struttin Spurs

I just saw the leg about half an inch on both sides of the spur. Then push out all the marrow and blood and stuff with a nail. After that I let them dry in a plastic bag of borax for a week or so. Once they are good and dried out the last thing I do is spray them with a couple coats of a clear finish. I feel like this helps to keep them looking fresh and the color doesnt seem to fade away.
Then I just put them on a string and hang them up with the others.

It doesnt look as fancy as some but it still looks nice and takes very little work.

mudhen

I agree with the above post.

I like to freeze the leg as soon as possible (keeps the marrow from soaking into the bone and turning it yellow).

Cut leg close to each side of the spur.

Push out the marrow asap.

Cut all the red skin & soft tissue off.

Rinse & scrub a bit with Dawn.

You can let air dry, or dust with boric acid powder and let dry.

Clean up with a Dremel tool with drum sander, and you are done.

I've got 25 year old spurs that look like new...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

g8rvet

I cut them off to the length leg bone I like, toss them in a baggy with salt. Wait til next spring and clean them up and put them on my necklace (that I don't wear, just hung on a leather lanyard with a wood bead between each spur).  It is not perfect, but I like the rustic look.  I save my shell I killed the bird with, knock out the cap and tie the beard in with leather and hang from a lanyard. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

WNCTracker

Nice!

WNCTracker

Works fine on old kills too. FYI.

WNCTracker

Has anyone ever tried tung oil instead of boiled linseed oil